5.5 Seahorse parts interchange

Ronald1

Seaman
I have a 1955 Johnson 5.5 CD-12. What series of Johnson and Evinrude parts can be used on this motor? An example of what I need is the bracket that holds the recoil start mechanism. It is cracked around the center bolt hole. I also would like to replace the throttle handle and position indicator. <br /><br />Does any one make new parts such as the throttle handle and rubber gaskets and grommets?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 5.5 Seahorse parts interchange

Hi Captain,<br /> If you're shooting for "correct" parts, you're limited to 1954 and 1955 models years, as there were only very subtle differences between the two. This covers your recoil, as it was unique to those years, but was also used on the Evinrude 7.5hp of the same years ('54 and '55). <br /> As for the tiller handle/throttle grip, it was quite similar to those used on motors up to the late 1950s (for correctness' sake) and fairly close up to the mid 1960s. Yours should be the black grip, while the later 1950s had a white grip with a different shape, too. There were some changes to the gears at the base of the tiller handle with the early ones having somewhat pointer teeth than the later ones, being more of a ball gear. They will not mix and match, but you can replace the shafts as a set. The indicator sleeves were relatively unchanged from the early 1950s up into the 1970s and were used on several models over the years.<br /> I don't know of anyone currently reproducing the throttle grips for the older motors. As for some of the grommets (particularly the cowling bumpers) you might be able to make something similar out of some 1/4" or 5/16" I.D. fuel hose. I have done this on several older clamshell type cowlings and it works quite well.<br /> Hope that helps...<br />- Scott

Ronald1

Seaman
Re: 5.5 Seahorse parts interchange

Chinewalker,<br />I would LIKE to have the correct parts as this little outboard is a very nice unit.... Can you tell me what other years and sizes will WORK? The recoil starter mechanism bracket is cracked but still holding. I'm afraid it might let go and let the recoil unit fall down on top of the flywheel.<br /> My throttle grip (black) has a chunk missing, the indicator is sprung, and the gasket on the carb cover plate is broken. <br />Thanks, Captain Tuna