Replacement warning horn on '85 Evinrude won't shut off

schl0514

Recruit
I have a 1985 40hp Evinrude model # E40ELCDE. The original warning horn went bad and I installed a replacement (not the same shape as the original). Now the horn activates when I turn the key to the "on" position and will not shut off. I'm wondering about the best way to track down what I think is either a short or a bad sensor. Thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacement warning horn on '85 Evinrude won't shut off

The TAN wire should be connected to the terminal closest to the black ground wire. If you have the PURPLE wire connected there instead, the horn will do weird things.<br /><br />Other than that, you have either a faulty sensor somewhere, a grounded TAN wire at some point, or a faulty horn.

schl0514

Recruit

I haven't been able to find a short. Is there any way to easily disconnect each sensor so I can isolate the problem. The horn stops sounding if I disconnect the tan wire. That was listed as a way to test if the horn was good on another post in this catagory. If that is not correct please let me know. Thanks.

Walker

Captain

Every tan wire on your motor, and I think there are ony 3, have a disconnect plug. Look at the back of the engine on the head. There shoudl be a heat senson in the head with tan wire. Locate the pluge and unplug the wire. Your VRO, if you have one also has a tan wire that can be disconnected. Your remote oil tank has one too.