1977 85hp 2 stroke outboard johnson has no spark

charlene81

Recruit
i have a 85hp johnson and just over night it has no spark at all.battery is good. can it be anything other than the power packs.

charlene81

Recruit
Re: 1977 85hp 2 stroke outboard johnson has no spark

i also just rebuilt starter and replaced voltege regulator"rectifire" i belive it is called and silenoind. if this makes a diference let me know

charlene81

Recruit

i also want somone to tell me how both packs can go out at same time if this is common and if i fork over the money to buy new ones is there a chance they could go out again prematuraly. i am hoping that the power packs are okalong with the stater

flech01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey start simple.<br /><br />Does your control box have a kill switch.

phatmanmike

Captain

yes your power packs can go out "prematurely" as you put it. they are electronic and therefore HAVE NO WARRANTY.. they can last 1 day , 1 year or forever.... but get a manual and start at the common ones... is it grounded properly or maybe grounded twice? kill switch? nuetral safty switch?

Mckenzie Boat

Recruit

Is the spark not going to any cylinders? If thats the case it could be your c.d.i. unit

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The first and easiest thing to check is the keyswitch. The keyswitch applies negative to the keyswitch input of the powerpack when the motor is off. When the motor is turned on, this ground is removed from the powerpack by the keyswitch. If you remove the keyswitch terminal/wire from the powerpack (black/yellow wire) and spark returns, you have a keyswitch issue.