Exhaust relief at idle?

85Sunbird

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I wanted to try and relieve some exhaust for just sound purposes on my 1977 115 Evinrude crossflow. I'm just looking for that sound when going through no-wake zones. It sounds so good when it's on the waterhose and then when you burry it in the water you hardly hear it. Any suggestions? Is there any holes I can drill etc, etc? I don't want too loud...just meaner sounding.<br /><br />Thanks:<br />Jason<br />P.S. I know it's not a performance advantage.....I'm just looking a little more sound while idling.

85Sunbird

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Exhaust relief at idle?

Does anybody have any suggestions?<br />Jason

phatmanmike

Captain

so , if i install these exhaust tuner things on my motor, it will make more available horsepower AND make it lowder?!?!?! COOL

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Actually if you open the exhaust without dry-stacking the motor its very possible to loose power besides giving youreself a headache. And upsetting those friendly folks with the guns and ticket books.

85Sunbird

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dhadley,<br />I had read before about dry stacking the big Mercurys but never have heard anybody doing it to an older Evinrude like mine. How is it done? Do you know of a link to how it is done? I'm not looking for it to be loud all the time...just alittle crisper and heavier while ideling..thats all.<br /><br />Jason

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You really dont want to go there. Especially if all your looking for is a little "throaty" noise. We relieve the exhaust by the AV plate so at idle its underwater anyway. At a slow speed it may or may not de different. <br /><br />Also keep in mind that as you change the exhaust tuning you may have to rejet the carbs.