68 Johnson Shifter Broken

68wetboat

Seaman Apprentice
Just picked up a 68 Johnson that me and some friends fixed up. It starts ok now but the shifter is busted up. I can see it's broken inside the casing so the shifter handle moves forward and backwards without any tension. I belive the cable is still good. It's just a little mount on the cable inside that gear box that is cracked in 2 pieces. Any help on "epoxy'n" or glueing this back together...Or is this a cheap part I should just replace. Also, where would I look for a new part like this if it can't be fixed?<br /><br />Hope I described this well enough to understand but this is my first boat and I don't know too much.<br /><br />Jason

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 68 Johnson Shifter Broken

There should be a ball or a cylinder called a trunion on the cable that goes between the two pieces called caps. Then the three pieces slide into an opening forged into the control box. <br /><br />The cover will keep them there.<br /><br />If the trunion has split, I would thoroughly clean it, glue it with Gorilla glue from a building supply place, clamp it for twenty-four hours and pray. The trunion was molded in place.

68wetboat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 68 Johnson Shifter Broken

Ok, I disassembled the shifter and found that the broken part is the "nylon"? rectangular piece which is a tad over 4 inches long that fits over the shifter wire in the control box. It acts as a cover over the wire and it slides through the base area of the shifter handle. I got some gorilla glue but with so much tension on that piece, I'd rather just find a new nylon? piece. If anyone's got suggestions on finding that piece, let me know. Also, I'll try to get a picture of the broken piece up later today in case my description didn't help.