fastwin spits at low idle

jimvaughn

Recruit
gentlemen; i purchased a 68 fastwin earlier this spring, it was supposed to have had carb overhauled and tuned up just before i purchased it. the first time i took it out it ran fine for about two hours then after having tipped it up it would only run on full choke, the dealer said crud from the steel tank had clogged the carb so i thoroughly cleaned the tank, removed disassembled and installed a new kit in the carb, and installed an in-line fuel filter. I installed new points and condensers and new plugs, i wanted to be sure everything was perfect. Today was the first time it ran out of the tank and in the river, it started on the second pull and would run fine anywhere above an idle but when idled down very slow it would spiy back through the carb and die. i attempted to adjust the low speed needle but from all the way in to all the way out it had no effect.<br />Starts good and runs good anywhere but low speed idle.<br />SORRY to be so long winded but want to make sure i didnt miss anything. Any ideas? i'm stumped, have been repairing small engines for twenty years but this has me baffled. :confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: fastwin spits at low idle

Jim.... It sounds like you've overlooked something in the carburetor on that 1968 18hp Evinrude that pertains to the fuel flow in the slow speed passageway.<br /><br />Did you check and clean the fixed high speed jet in the bottom center portion of the float chamber?<br /><br />Did you check under the top core plug to see if any of the small slow speed fuel passage holes might be plugged?<br /><br />Spitting back through the carburetor is a sign that the slow speed needle valve is set too lean, but if you can back that needle valve all the way out (or close to it), you've got a blocked passageway.