workin outa water

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1975 50 hp johnson that i need to tinker around with out of the water. i normally fill a big bucket with water and put my motor over it. this takes forever to fill and is a pain in the a** to dump and usuallly destroys whatever grass im working on. im constantly hearing about "muffs" what exactly is this and can it be used on mine? and i also heard about being able to disconnect the prop, is it ok to do this? it would help for transmission related issues<br />thanx<br />~erk

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice
Re: workin outa water

Muffs are the way to go. They will work on just about all engines I believe. Pretty cheap also. They just screw onto the end of a garden hose then go over the water intake on the engine. It is not recommended to run the engine in gear when using the muffs though. Very dangerous to have a spinning prop exposed. You could just pull the prop off the shaft if you need to run it in gear. At least it is just a spinning shaft then, which is not ideal, but better than blades.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup. Like Walleye Man said.<br /><br />CAUTION!! NEVER rev a 2 stroke over about 1200rpm without a load on it. Also, don't try to set up the idle out of the water (no backpressure on the exhaust).<br /><br />Good luck. :)

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I'm old fashion. I perfer the bucket method. It insures that the impeller is working. I can also preform minor carb adjustments with motor in forward gear. Of course just low speed idle.