1957EVINRUDE 18 HP FASTTWIN

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1957EVINRUDE 18 HP FASTTWIN

Yes! My son, and I have two of those antigues we use all the time.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, STB.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />We don't consider the '57 JohnnyRudes antiques. There are still thousands in everyday service.<br /><br />How can we help you??

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The '57 Fastwin was the first 22-cuber - built with modest updates into the mid 1970s. It was a very solid design from the start. Still lots of over-the-counter parts available and very easy to work on. Doing the work yourself, you can replace just about every routine maintenance part on that motor for well under $150. That includes waterpump impeller, points, coils, condensers, plug wires, carb kit, all hoses, recoil rope, and a fuel tank rebuild kit. Assuming there are no major internal woes to worry about (good compression, no blow-out around upper or lower seals, and clean gear oil from the unit, you'll have a solid motor for years to come.<br /><br />Compression is nice to have over 100psi in each hole and no more than 5% variance between them.<br /><br />If you do find water in the gear oil, all is not lost, as a new seal kit runs about $30.00 and isn't too difficult to install.<br /><br />What else ya gotta know about it??<br /><br />- Scott

bubbakat

Captain

I have and old 57 fastwine I am restoring now. I can't wait until I can mount it on my flat bottom.<br />Chinewalker Is right about these old horses the parts aren't hard to come by.