1996 Evinrude 88 Special Idling Problems

bartborchardt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My uncle has this motor and needs help with the idling. He says that it runs fine but has a hard time keeping it idled. I will be going to Alabama to help him with it in a couple of weeks. What should I bring. I will be picking up a couple of carb kits, plugs, and cleaner. I know that he never does any maintenance and it always sits during winter. Need help with where to start. :confused: <br /><br />I already have a manual.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Evinrude 88 Special Idling Problems

-Plugger- <br /><br />Sounds like you have all you will need to get it running right again. More than likely, doing all the carbs with a good cleaning and rebuild will do the trick. Throw in a new primer bulb, too. Might pick up a can or 2 of compressed air to blow out the carb passages if there is no compressed air available. (Avaiable at most big electronic stores.) Also, it would be a good time to drain and refill the lower unit. Check the fluid for water intrusion and put new seals on the drain/fill screws. Take a quart of LU fluid with you. You may also want to do a Decarb. since it sits alot. Here is a link to doing that. You may want to print it out and take it with you. Make sure the fuel tank vent is clear and use new fuel. Good Luck:<br /><br /> Decarb<br /><br />Of course, bring any tools you may need and those you will think you would never need...

bartborchardt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,<br /><br />I will try the decarb first. I just looked at my manual and it only goes up to a 1994. How much difference is the '94 and the '96 when it comes to rebuilding the carbs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Not much, if any, on the 88's. They basically were unchanged those years...