power pack miss wired

phatmanmike

Captain
hi all. <br />1972 evinrude 50 hp, the twin cylinder.<br />had engine apart to replace exhaust covers and clean the pwerhead. i had all electical removed from side of motor to clean it. when i replaced powerpack , i must have swapped the black wire and the white wire from the timer base going to the power pack. i know this cause i had to swap the plug wires for it to start and run. i ran it like this for a short while, untill it was too dark to continue. here is my question...<br /><br />WHAT DAMAGE COULD THIS HAVE DONE TO MY MOTOR AND OR POWER PACK IF ANY?<br /><br />i dont wanna re start the motor untill i know if its safe to do so.<br /><br />or am i just being paranoid<br /><br />m ikey

Xcusme

Commander
Re: power pack miss wired

Mike, The timer base signals the powerpack to fire , first for one cylinder, then the other. Since you reversed the timer base wires and swapped the plug wires, basically, things electrically the same as a normally wired motor.<br />When you reversed the timer base wires, you in effect caused the powerpack to fire 180 degrees out of phase with the cylinders. By swapping the plug wires, you put things electrically back to normal BUT it's wired in a non-normal looking way which could confuse future owners or yourself if you forget what you did.<br />It would be in your best interest to swap the timer base wires and reverse the plug wires back to normal for future servicing issues.