Constant alarm beep!

rcgt78

Seaman
Hi!<br /><br />My Johnson 60 -89 VRO gives out a constant alarm when turning key switch to on position. <br /><br />It started when the main power switch was turned off with the engine running. It was the third time someone kicked the switch in accident. Earlier the beep stopped when the switch was turned on again. But not this time.<br /><br />I believe that the alarma horn is defective and needs to be replaced.<br /><br />I have still not searched for the problem and I would appreciate some good advise. Can I easily open the control box and check the horn?<br /><br />I added this as a new topic because of the nature of the cause to failure.<br /><br />Robert

tee-boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Constant alarm beep!

Check the ignition switch. On mercs there is a wire that the ignition switch opens and closes. On a Merc, I believe the wire is purple.

rcgt78

Seaman

Hi! <br /><br />You were right about the purple wire.<br /><br />I checked all possible alarm sources by disconnecting their wires. The alarm did not stop beeping, so I believe that the alarm horn is defective and must be replaced. <br /><br />I just unplugged the purple wire (12V) from the horn. The brown one is probably the signal wire.<br />The engine runs fine without the alarm.<br /><br />A new horn would cost approximately 100 Euros here in Finland. <br /><br />Considering to open the horn and try to repair it.<br /><br />Thanks for your help!<br /><br />Robert

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wrong Forum. Moving to Johnson Troubles.

tee-boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope you're sure about the alarm malfunctioning. Teh alarm could be trying to tell you something.