1995 Johnson 88 spl low RPMs

Hypecat

Recruit
I bought a used boat (1995 Glastron ssv 170) with a 1995 Johnson 88 SPL motor. The motor looks and runs great, but barely spins 4200 RPM and seems to bog out of the hole. Currently I have swapped down to a 14 x 15 pitch prop and the RPMs have not increased. The manufacturer recommends a 17 or 19 pitch, so I think there is a problem with the motor. I had a 'leak down' test done and it was fine. I have no idea what could be wrong. Also, the rectifier appears to be bad, since the tach only works intermittently and a separate tach also didn't work. <br /><br />I only get about 30 MPH out of the package which I beleive is too low.<br /><br />Did the previous owner damage the lower unit and change the gearing? <br /><br />If anyone has any idea of what might be wrong, I would greatly appreciate your advice. I am almost tempted to sell the motor or boat and motor!<br /><br />Thanks in Advance!

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1995 Johnson 88 spl low RPMs

The 15" prop sounds about right for that rig. I run same motor on about same size boat and turn 5600 RPM at WOT with a 15" prop. 17" drops it to 5000 which is too low. Check your linkage to make sure the throttles are opening all the way at WOT. After that, ignition and fuel in the usual order.