1958 Evinrude 50 horse spark problems

gobucks1dp

Cadet
I have owned this motor for about 10yrs. My buddy talked me into working on it again and now I remember why I stopped 5yrs ago. My problem is that its a 4 cylinder and I can't get any spark to the right cylinders (1&3). I have changed the plugs, wires, points, button, and cap. The last thing I tried is switching the points around to see if it was a bad point and the good spark still went to the left bank (2&4). It could be the coil but why am I getting spark to two plugs and not all four. Any suggestions before I boneyard it would be greatly appriciated.

ledgefinder

Ensign
Re: 1958 Evinrude 50 horse spark problems

You replaced the points, cap & wires... Unless one set of points is maladjusted, it's got to be a break/short in one of the wires from the points to the coil. (I.E., something that didn't get changed.). Anybody with more experience with these want to jump in here?

ledgefinder

Ensign

After looking at the manual for a while, it might be that one of the magnets jumped loose. If you check with the antique outboard motor club (AOMC.com), I bet there's someone who knows their way around those vintage magnetos.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Check the continuity of the short wire that connect's the two point set's together. Make sure the point's are both set to break at .020 on the high lobe of the cam

gobucks1dp

Cadet

Thanks guys, when I get off work tonight I will check the resistance on the wires. I'm still confused on the magnets that ledgefinder was mentioning. Are they located under the points housing and above the distributor?

rwise

Captain

were both condensers changed also? I'll look at my book when I get home tonight and see what I can find that will help.<br />Also when I open the magneto system on mine I found the bearings dry, you may want to check and lub them! The engine ran smother after I did this.

gobucks1dp

Cadet

Mine only has one condenser and I did change it twice because the dealer messed up and had two new ones in the box instead of one. Thanks for the heads up on the bearings. I'll check them out tonight.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had one that did that it was a 75hp, drove me nuts, what i found was a wire shorted under the points plate. Another thing it might be is one set of points shorting to the plate.

rwise

Captain

yes only one condenser one these (I still find that strange) and I agree with R.Johnson on the wire between the two sets! I think I would just replace it.

gobucks1dp

Cadet

Found the problem, tore down the magneto distributor assy and cleaned and lubed everything. Put it back to gether and finally got spark. Had it running last night. Now for the carb adjustments and she should be ready.Thanks for all the help guys.