1996 50 hp won't turn over

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have the motor all hooked up and a fresh charged battery connected but the motor will not turn over from the key. If you hook power to the starter it will spin. I do not have the vro hooked up but that should have nothing to do with it, correct? only wires not hooked up are the wires that were connected to a speedo and tach on the previous owners boat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.<br /> :confused:

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 50 hp won't turn over

Check for a blown fuse in a holder on the side of the block. Usually red or black in colour.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

check neutral safety kill switch.<br />check solenoid<br />check ignition key

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys I will try your recommendations ad see what happens. Thanks again

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Is the motor locked up - - will it turn over if you grip the flywheel & try to turn it?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

He jumped the starter and it turned over, so I don't think it's locked up. I'm betting on the fuse or neutral switch...

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It will turn over but I can get nothing when i turn the key. Raining too hard here to run toi the garage, but when i do i am looking for the fuse. Thanks.

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last time I checked , Southern Ontario received an average of 76 inches of rain a year. The chamber of commerce doesn't want you to know that. [ A former great white north resident.]

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Were abouts in the great white north did you live? At least we are geting rain to the north of us they are getting snow, like 12 inches yesterday.

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have checked all over the engine and can not find a fuse. What side do I look for it on? I believe that I have all the wires hooked up properly. Is there any wiing diagram that may help me? Thanks

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fuse is in a 3inch long , 3/4 inch in diameter tube with a bent wire holding it together usually on the right side ,viewed from the front. nevjb

DHPMARINE

Captain

Fuse holder (as nevjb says) is located near the starter solenoid.This is where the positive battery cable connects.<br />DHP

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks I will look there. Stili in shock from the gas price. Just went up to 90 cents a litre. Thats over 4 bucks a canadian gallon. Ouch.

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just located the fuse and it is good. there is power to the bottom of the solenoid and i turn the key there is no power on the top of the solenoid. In the wiring harness there are wires that were cut off the fuel gauge and tach. there are purple wires ablack wire a white wire with a brown stripe and sixth wire that I forget the color of right now. These should make no difference if they are connected or notright?????

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Therefore if I join the purple wire together and turn the key it should work. Just went out and tried nothing. With this wire hooked up and I turn the key should I have power on the top solenoid post?

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, but still no go. Is there any thing else I can try. Could it be solenoid? I'm guessing.<br /> :confused:

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

On your solenoid, there are the 2 large cables. One goes to the battery and the other goes to the starter. There are one or two small wires. One comes from the key and the other provides power to other components. Disconnect the one you think that comes from the key and put a volt meter on it. When you turn the key , you should read 12 volts. Try this on the other wire as well, to make sure you got the right one. If power is coming to the wire that activates the solenoid and the solenoid doesn't click , the solenoid is bad. nevjb

Edson15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks nevjb. Will try this in the morning and let you know. I appreciate it very much.