Power head installed, a few issues though

JasonBenson

Cadet
Thanks to the many who helped me in my endeavor. I started up my newly rebuilt head(1981 90 HP johnson). I've installed a new water pump and t-stats(once again with advice from people on this forum). I now have a few last questions. I fired up the motor briefly with the ear muffs on. Water coming out of the tell tale just fine. Couple of things have me concerned:<br />1. ) Water from under the newly built head(up front)- powerhead to 'midsection' gasket?<br />2. ) It seems my fuel connection from my tank line to the motor is not completely 'tight', I can hear it hiss a bit when I pump it up.<br />Does anybody have the Joe Reeves method for checking temp? I don't have any guages for this thing...something about put your hand on the head for count of five..<br />--------------------<br />Thanks,<br />Minnesota Jman

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power head installed, a few issues though

Just as a thought, is the rebuilt powerhead the exact same block that came off or is this an exchange deal?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Re 1. Water comming out just above the gearcase is OK but not from the base of the powerhead.<br /><br />Re 2. If you have the standard OMC connector there is a small o ring that should provide a seal to the male end on the motor that probably needs to be replaced. If that is it do both connectors and carry a couple of spare o rings in your tool box.<br /><br />Put your fingers on the block just above the head for the heat test. Also test the overheat horn (it is in the gear shift/throttle assembly) by grounding the brown wire from the sender with the ignition on - but motor off.

JasonBenson

Cadet

Dhadley, SoLittle,<br />Thanks for responding. This is my powerhead rebuilt. The water does seem to come out from just beneath the powerhead. I suspect I need to buy another gasket and some sealer. When I put the motor up (on tilt) lots of water coming out from midsection. I'll try the sending wire once I locate it. <br />10,000 Lakes and no boat!