Intermittent hot horn/oil alarm on 150 Johnny

Hi guys, 1st post, great bb! Have spent last hour looking, unable to find my problem on old post. I have a '87 Johnson 150(Mod.# J150TXCDC, Ser.# J7157506)I bought recently w/VRO already removed. I get an alarm goes beepbeepbeep for a few minutes shortly after cranking engine, then goes (fades) away, usually when I bump up throttle to run at speed. Problem is, it's an intermittent thing, doesn't happen every time I crank up. Heads don't have time to even reach op temp, are not hot to touch, temp gauge I installed reads 120 or so. New thermostats, pump, etc., so I don't think it's an overheat issue. Also, it's not a steady scream like you usually get from a hot warning. I don't know if VRO removal was done right, from what I've read so far it appears to be plugged right, etc.. Oil mix is 50:1, fuel lines sized right, through water separator filter to engine. Do any of you have any ideas on this one? Thanks in advance...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Intermittent hot horn/oil alarm on 150 Johnny

Welcome!!<br /><br />Just an FYI -- its an 86 150. Sorry about the bad news (being a year older). Lol!<br /><br />Did this beep thing start after the VRO was disconnected?If so, the no oil warning wasnt disconnected although it shouldnt fade away. <br /><br />We may have two problems or just a bad horn. Make sure the wires on the pump are disconnected. Lets start there.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Little Torch -- great spot.

Thanks for the welcome and the info on the year. A year one way or the other isn't going to make much difference, I guess. The VRO was disconnected before I bought the boat, so I don't know the before & after. From what I've read on the site, the warning I get is no oil. The horn is inside the console of the boat & short connectors, so hard to get to. I don't know what was supposed to be unplugged electric-wise, so I'm not sure what to try at the engine end. I actually ran the boat for a few weeks before this came up.

Daniel Beckman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it a constant beep beep beep with the same pause between them. or a little random?

I guess it could be called 1/2 sec intervals because they're so close together, it sounds like beepbeepbeep with no pause, but it's not a consistent one-tone beeeeeep, if you know what I mean. But it doesn't go beepbeepbeep then pause and start again, its continues and then fades out in a few minutes. I tested hot horn and it pretty much screams one long tone.

Daniel Beckman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok then i guess it must have something to do with the disconnected vro.<br />If its on the edge of fuel restriction you can sometimes get an alarm that beeps random (i had a couple of years ago)<br />But it strange that it fades away.

I agree, it's weird. Is there any connection between alarm & low voltage? I've noticed when I've got a strong reading on voltmeter & battery is at full charge it doesn't seem to happen as much.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Are the wires on the VRO pump disconnected?

I'm not sure. The 4-wire harness to amphenol from the fuel pump is connected. Since I don't know what's essential to the fuel pump, I'm hesitant to start taking things apart without some advice. I didn't see the VRO setup before it was removed, so I don't know what should be disconnected electric-wise. There is one brown wire hanging by itself that is cut off, but it's in a separate tape wrapped group. It is in the vicinity of the other wiring, though.

Just trying to keep this post active, since I still don't have a fix. Another question, though. Did OMC in the '86 model year have an oil reservoir under the cowl? My Yamahas did, and there was a separate warning for low oil in the reservoir, in addition to no oil flow warning.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Find the remote oil tank and look for the wires/connector. The horn itself is no help usually.

Stratosfied

Ensign

When I first ran my new rig I got a sound like this. Come to find out the dealer didnot purge the oil line from the vro to the motor. Don't know if this will help.. 95 70hp Johnson

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Salty,<br />You say the 4 wire amp connector to the fuel pump is still connecccted ? dis connect it should solve your prob. Also 86 did have oil resivoir some where on the boat not in motor cowl. if the previous owner dis connected the vro feature he may have removed the tank and in doing so you no longer have a horn test aat key "on"

Had to go to Key West, got back to computer today so I'm slow in responding to the last couple of posts. I'll check the oil line & see what happens when I disconnect the amphenol. Been blowing a steady 20 for the last week, may not be able to water test for a few days, but I'll let y'all know if either of the suggestions work. Thanks for all advice. Later.