Need proper timing sequence,1993 Johnny 120

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just picked up this motor and I want to make sure the timing is correct.I know this has been talked about many times before,and i did search it,but it was a lot of questions unanswered.I assume the #1 cyl. is the top cyl. on the starboard side.On the flywheel, there is 2 sets of timing marks,,1 says #1 cyl,and the other says #2 cyl rope...I have a long plastic arm coming out from under the flywheel on the starboard side,,and a smaller bolt with a rubber stop under the port side of flywheel.Do I need the 7/16 plug gap tool on the #1 cylinder plug only.I know the timing says 18 degrees,so I assume that I need to set it at 14,,unless running down the lake,,,which is possible.Any other pointers would be much appreciated.

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need proper timing sequence,1993 Johnny 120

Anyone,,please.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need proper timing sequence,1993 Johnny 120

Its sort of hard to understand what youre asking. But if youre looking for number 2 cylinder, its the top port side cylinder. <br /><br />The screw under the flywheel on the port side is the idle timing stop. The long "arm" on the starboard side is for adjusting the idle timing.<br /><br />If youre trying to set the timing pointer, a very good idea by the way, yes -- you will need some sort of piston stop tool or a dial indicator.<br /><br />If youre going to set the timing 14 (static) is a good start. Always, always, always check it under a load afterwards. You can do it on the trailer.<br /><br />The firing order is 1-2-3-4.<br /><br />The number one thing to do first is get an OE service manual. The things your talking about directly affect the life of the pistons.