engine smokes

johnbates

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1964 Johnson 60 hp v4 and I was told that the oil mix is 50:1 well I got it running and I ran it for a while..Well it smokes really bad..Am I mixing 50:1 to much or is that normal

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine smokes

Does it smoke at all RPM's, speed, ect? If so, it's time to check the compresssion and see what's going on inside the motor. If just at idle, that is probably normal..<br /><br /> Fuel Mix

johnbates

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I never had it on a lake yet..But it smokes while its in a drum..Maybe once its been running on open water it will stop..I have 147 pounds of compression in all 4 cyl.

alcan

Commander

Hi John <br />It seems to me I was reading a previous post of yours where you were having trouble adjusting your carb or getting properly reassembled. It sounds as you my still have a problem there. You can allways expect more concentrated smoke while running in a test tank.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Also. while you have it in that barrel, I would do a decarb. As Alcan said, they always smoke more in a barrel(Sometimes alot more). Good idea to take it out and run it on the lake and blow some of that cr*p out of there. Here's a link for decarbing:<br /><br /> web page