Johnson 88 tune up maybe?

scubaman67

Seaman Apprentice
Alright, here's the deal. been researching some topics here on the forum. you guys certainly sound like you know what you're talkin about.. I've got a used 1992 88 horse johnny that runs great. Sometimes a little hard to start, but she does start. I run the boat in salt water and haven't done a thing to the engine since I bought it a year ago. Think it had 300 hours on it when I bought it, 100 more since. I was hoping to be able to do all the work myself, but have very little experience with outboards. Was planning to replace the water pump impeller, gear lube, and spark plugs. I'm sure there's more I should do, I just don't know exactly what these things are and how difficult it will be for me to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 88 tune up maybe?

Scubaman,<br /><br />I'm also new to boating, having bought a deckboat in Jan of this year. It has a Evinrude 88 Spl on it.<br />The first thing you will hear is....buy a manual.<br />I did, it helps alot in understanding even some simple things about the motor.<br />The experts will want to know the wide open throttle (WOT) rpm's the motor is turning, the prop on it, diameter and pitch. <br />What boat is it on and the weight of it.<br />What do the spark plugs look like, as in the color of the tip. What spark plugs are in it?<br /><br />Most of the stuff is easy to do. Read the manual...<br />I took my carbs off and cleaned them, installed new gaskets.<br />I rebuilt my fuel pump, careful, tiny springs and parts are in it.<br />I changed the lower unit oil, putting in synthetic oil.<br />My impellor will be next, but as of now, it pee's a strong stream that goes a few inches into the water at an idle.<br />I installed a second battery with a Perko switch.<br /><br />Iboats helped alot with my confidence to do these things.<br /><br />Once you start working on the boat/motor, you'll see how simple some of these things are to do and you wont be psyched out over it.<br /><br />Good luck and post often, these guys are great in helping out us newbs. :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I would suggest a good decarb and at some point you might want to pull the heads and replace the deflectors. They are little rubber pieces that keep the water flowing in the right direction around the cylinders. As they get older they puff up and start to stick into the water passage. This, in time, can restrict the water flow and cause an overheat in a given area.<br /><br />Set up is critical as with any outboard. 5800 rpm with your average load, TCW3 oil, fresh 87 octane and Champion plugs. <br /><br />Good luck!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

TPD gave you great advice starting with the manual. I may have missed it but at some point you might replace the thermostats.

scubaman67

Seaman Apprentice

First of all, I'd like to thank you guys that responded to my post. Appreciate the advice..<br />bought manual, Decarbed, rebuild fuel pump, changed gear oil, new champion plugs, bought new impeller kit to install soon, planning to replace deflectors. any other tune-up procedures I should consider? seems like I need to do more..