Survey - 2002 Yamaha F115 - Any Recommendations?

abreug2

Cadet
I need help to conduct a motor inspection on twin Yamaha 115 four strokes 2002 with 300 hours. I looking at buying the boat if inspecction passes.<br /><br />What do I need to do?<br /><br />Compression test (What are good results? and how should the test be conducted)<br />Run test (Sea trail)<br /><br />Any recommendations such as what to look for, test to conduct and what dealers may do to hide a worn out motor. Is 300 hrs to much on an outboard?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Survey - 2002 Yamaha F115 - Any Recommendations?

Moving to General Outboard.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />Should not be much to worry about since the outboard should have at least 2 year remaning on warranty, maybe more if has extended service<br /> http://www.yamaha-motor.com/yes/yes_marine.html <br /><br />300 hours on a 2002 outboard, it is maybe somewhere between [normal - much] use in my opinion.<br />Check the Service manual that it has been serviced at:<br />10 h<br />100 h<br />200 h<br />300 h<br />(next service is at 400 h if you follow the service manual)<br />Make sure the service manual has Yamaha authorized service center "stamp" and is "signed".<br /><br />I have a Yamaha F115 2003 and it is a fine outboard I think.<br /><br />/Bo

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I don't have a manual in front of me, but if I remember correctly, that motor needs a valve adjustment at 200 hours. If that hasn't been documented, subtract the estimate from the purchase price. To check the valve clearance does not take too long, but to do any adjusting, the covers, cams, and shims have to be removed, and the shims changed out. Then the whole thing has to be re-installed and timed.