1985-90horse I need electrical help,what color goes where

beerboatsbroads

Recruit
I just bought a 1985 90 horse v-4 off of a boat that caught fire and was destroid. and I dont know what color wires goes where. I know the obvious, main power blk. and red. but the other casing that has like 6 or 7 wires in it of various colors green, yellow, blue,ect.those are the ones i need help with. your help is apperciated. thank you!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1985-90horse I need electrical help,what color goes where

You need a Service Manual, BBB. Shouldn't work on an outboard without one.<br /><br />The wiring diagrams will tell all.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

johnbates

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Magneto = Black (ground)<br />Magneto = Black w/ yellow stripe<br />Acc = Purple<br />Starter = White or Yellow w/ red stripe<br />Choke = Yellow w/ black stripe<br />Batt = Red w/ purple stripe<br />does this help

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

A lot of OMC wiring follows national, international and Coast Guard standards. <br /><br />Try here and scroll down for list of color codes. <br /> Electrical <br /><br />For specific OMC models you need the manual.<br /><br />P.S. Don't forget to bookmark this or you will not find it when you need it!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Gotta agree with JB triple B....get that manual. Will pay for itself in the long and short run.<br /><br />Good Luck.