tcw-3 oil

1stoutboard

Seaman Apprentice
I have read few discussions about what to use as 2 stroke oil. I just ordered a new Glastron 2004, with a 90 hp Yamaha 2 stroke,(I don't have it yet), after i had an I/o for 2 yrs. Of course i want to take care of this new baby, and i keep reading conflicting ideas about tcw-3 certified and Walmart brand which I am sure is tcw-3 certified as well. I checked the price at a local Marina for a 1qt of Yamalube, it was $6.00/qt. Insane. I know i have a warranty on this new motor,the more i read the more i can't make a decision, i don't want to be cheap and shorten the life of my new motor either. Any suggestions.?Thank you

bubbakat

Captain
Re: tcw-3 oil

If your warranty says to only use their oil then by all means do so but if it says use tcw-3 the use what they have at wally world I personally use it and have met with no dire circumstances.<br /><br />Do with what makes you feel more at ease with new mtr<br /><br />Read the post by charles w about drifference in oil prices on this page

1stoutboard

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you bubbakat. Well , I will ask the dealer when i pick up the boat, and see what he says. hoping he will give me an honest answer.

walleyehed

Admiral

1stoutboard, #1, it's against the law to say you can only use "our" oil, or your warr. is null-n-void. They can, however say, you must use a TC-W3 oil. THAT is exactly why NMMA steped in and said ANY oil must meet "X" standards to be labeled TC-W3......It keeps the Marine manufacturers honest.....I hope.......

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

99% of the time, the dealer will say use yamaha oil. They cannot require you to use their oil to maintain warranty. Just as Ford cannot require you to use Ford oil in your car. That has already been decided by the courts.<br /><br />If the oil is NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association, of which Yamaha is a member) recommended and approved, and is TCW3 rated, then it meets the standards to keep your warranty in place. <br /><br />To save you some reading, no one has produced any test results that says any one of these oils is better than the next. And they all say theirs is "superior" or offers the highest level of protection.<br /><br />There is a difference between "premium", "synthetic blend", and "synthetic." Which of these is better for your engine is still up for debate.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I suppose it is worth noting that DFI 2 strokes have different requirements than carbed or EFI 2 strokes.<br /><br />Optimax, HPDI, Bombardier DFI and Ficht engines are DFI and may require you to use oil designated for DFI use or void your warranty. Many Ficht and Optimax failures have been attributed to using TC-W3 oil instead of the required DFI oil.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Good to know, JB.<br />AND<br />Good to know JB. :)

1stoutboard

Seaman Apprentice

I went into the Yamaha website and found the Owner's manual for 2003 outboard 90 hp.It said that if Yamalube is not available, you can use any tcw-3 that it NMMA certified which Walmart has. $ 5.97/Gallon. SO I am sure they know that Supertech is just as good as their product, and would not void the warranty on the new motor. <br />I appreciate everyone's input . Thanks folks.I have been enjoying this forum, it is quiet informative.

Oil Man

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Middleground is right.<br />You get what you pay for.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

You get what you pay for.
Not when you purchase the manufacturers parts, and products. They are always very much overpriced, and if they are not knocking down excessive profits, it is because of their inefficiencys, and excessive overhead cost.

1stoutboard

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with your assesment Middleground, All I am concerened about is the NMMA certified, and ofcourse Tcw-3 .I am not going to forget that we live within in a capitalist economy. All the big hitters" major companies, want to market their product and make $$$$$$. God Bless America. We love our free market, and love Walmart.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

The NMMA states that walmart oil is approved as tcw3, and the manufacturer is shell oil company. :D :D :D :D

ZmOz

Captain

The Walmart and Merc/Evinrude/ect oils are all probably the same thing! ;) None of them make their own oil...

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

By the way 1stoutboard, yarmalube is not NMMA certified, nor is suzuki oil. :D :D :D :D

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Yamalube 2M is TC-W3 NMMA certified. The PWC oil, called Yamalube 2W, is not.<br /><br />When Bass and Walleye boats did their 2-stroke oil test in the Aug. 2000 issue, Exxon Superflo and Walmart had the same ingredients. All the other oils had different formulas.