48 spl, power asst. seal

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi to all,<br /><br />Power asst. piston never did work on my 48 Johnson, very hard to raise (standing behind motor grabing prop area and raising). But it would stay up when you flipped the lever to hold position. <br /><br />Now it will not stay up it goes back down no matter what position the lever is in. Did I blow the seal? or is it out of adjustment? I did remember the last couple of times when I flipped the lever to lower it from the tilt position would not move right away?<br /><br />And to get to the seal I would think the top rod would have to be removed from the pivoting part of the motor right? Well a few years ago I wanted to switch the power asst. to PT&T but I couldn't get the top rod out that the top of the piston connected to. Is there a secret or just a pain in the neck? Also I didn't what to break the cast trying to beat on the rod. I also attempted to drill but its stainless and was very hard to drill.<br /><br />Any suggestions on removal of the power asst. piston, or should I just invest in a aftermarket PT&T? I saw one on this site for about $450 and am thinking about it. May be easier than fooling around with this piston? <br /><br />Has any one had any dealing with the CMC PT-130? How durable? Can you order parts? <br /><br />Thanks for any input.<br />Beck<br /> :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 48 spl, power asst. seal

Hi Beck. Could be the adjustment on the cable is out a little causing the hard operation. If the cable is outta adjustment, the engine will be hard to raise. <br /><br />If the handle has a lot of slop, raise the engine and look behind the starboard transom mount where the cable hooks to the lever. You will see a black connector. Pop it off the ball and turn it clockwise to take up slack in the cable. Pop it back on and see if that helps with raising the engine. The handle should have very little "back and forth" movement before moving the cable. You can adjust the black connector to take up this slop.

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks OBJ for that info.<br /><br />I will try that, one other thing I should have mentioned is that I trailered it 2 times with just the piston holding it in the up position. For years I trailered it on the mechanical holder and locked it in with the pistion why I changed my practice with just the piston I don't really know but I think I might have busted something.<br /><br />Any info. or exp. with the CMC 130?<br /><br />I hope I can adjust with the black conn. but lever is new and cable is new as I have had to change thoes parts several months ago. Old cable stuck and would not operate the relief valve enough to move piston at all.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Beck<br /><br />Ps: The missing at 2k rpm problem I had a few months ago was a power pack. It started missing after 15 minutes of running but I think that was fuel line related as the marine dealership must have used their own tank and line. When I got the boat back my fuel line was off, there was no clamp on the fuel conn. fitting and the fitting leaked? But the dealership didn't mention any of this just charged me $60 to run it for 30 minutes.

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One other thing OBJ,<br /><br />The power asst. on my rig was always a struggle to move up. I saw a new rig years ago and asked him how he liked his power asst. He operated it and it did raise with one finger (we were behind the boat, boat wasn't in the water yet). I know how its supposed to work, mine has always been hard to move, but now it will not stay up.<br /><br />Just wanted to add that info.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Beck

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:<br /><br />Just got finished checking further into my power assist problem and found the plunger in the base of the piston corroded and sticking. I lubed it up and it now holds the motor in different positions. Still does not "assist" in lifting it's still a pain in the neck big time, but at least now I can man handle it up and keep it in whatever position I need to motor out of shallows etc.<br /><br />Still thinking about the CMC power assist. Does anyone have any experience/info. on these? Any info. will be appreciated.<br /><br />Beck

D

DJ

I know at least one memmber has one and loves it.<br /><br />Start anoyher thread with a toipic title such as: CMC power tilt experience.<br /><br />Put it in General Outboard.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Beck....do try the adjustments I posted and get the slop in the handle down to about 1/4". To much slop means you are not moving the valve in the piston enough to let the cylinder help in raising the engine.

Snipe

Cadet

Had the same problem. A real bear to move up, but it would hold. The seal that keeps the gas in wasn't doing it's job. Can't fix them. I don't know why, they get the gas in at the factory. Very pricy, $310.96.

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi To All,<br /><br />OBJ I really do not have hardly any play in the cable. Lever is snug and cable moves as soon as the lever is moved. As Snipe has said I think the gas is out of the piston which makes it hard to raise. I've heard good things about the CMC t&t's.<br />Been thinking about them but just hate to part with the $500. The little rig fishes great and runs good.<br /><br />Later Guys,<br />Beck