Advice on setting up tach needed.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer
Hi<br />I bought a tach for my 1980 Jonhson 55 today from a place that sells used boat bits. From pictures that I've seen, I think it may be a teleflex tach.<br /><br />The wiring seems pretty straight forward, although in my manual it says not to use any instrument with more than a 5 amp load from the plug on the control box. Is a tach O.K to use from this plug?<br /><br />Also, on the back of my tach there are the numbers 4, 6 and 8. I've read on here that the tach should be set on 6, but I can't see anywhere on the back of the tach where these settings can be changed. (please see pictures). <br /><br />tach pictures <br /><br />As the tach came off of a boat, can I assume that it is already set at 6, or do I need to change anything? If I need to change it, is anyone familiar with this tach, and could they tell me how to set it please.<br /><br />Any advice would be appreciated.<br />Thanks<br />Steve

D

DJ

Re: Advice on setting up tach needed.

Steve,<br /><br />The tach may be from an I/O (automotive based) thus may or may not work.<br /><br />As far as plugging it in, go ahead. I can't see a tach drawing anywhere near 5 amps, unless there is a direct short. Even if there were, it would pop the ignition fuse under the hood.<br /><br />Yes, the pole setting should be "6".

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks DJ<br />I thought that as there were numbers 4, 6 and 8 printed on the back, there may be some way of switching positions if it wasn't already on 6. I just can't see any way of switching it.<br /><br />I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it works :rolleyes: <br /><br />Thanks again<br />Steve

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

It didn't work :( <br /><br />Never mind, thanks anyway.<br /><br />Steve