1954 Evinrude 7.5 hp pistons

Slimm

Recruit
I am in need of pistons for a 1954 Evinrude 7.5 model # 7514. I have been looking and just can't seem to find them, anyone have any suggestions? I need a .020 or .030 overbore to repair some bad pitting in a cylinder wall.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1954 Evinrude 7.5 hp pistons

I would be looking for another block or a parts motor, as oversize pistons are going to be VERY scarce for that motor. Those motors were inexpensive enough in their day, that most people opted for buying a new motor rather than boring out the cylinders and rebuilding it. That, and generally the rods let go before the pistons wore out - and twhen the rods went, so did the block (usually) which made the motor non-rebuildable.. I think you'll find that using another block, etc. will be both cheaper and easier in the long run.<br /> Your motor used the same block as the '55. The '56-'58 Johnson or Evinrude blocks are very similar, but the recoil boss in the rear is in a different spot. Might be able to make one work. Also, you'd need to use your '54 intake manifold and cylinder head on the '56-'58 block. <br /> About two years ago I rebult my '55 Fleetwin and found a parts motor on eBay for about $25. They're out there and not uncommon. Try your local marinas, too, as often they'll have a bone pile somewhere with misc. carcasses, etc. Good luck!<br />- Scott

voxmorgan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the block and piston are the same for a 6hp around that year vintage. I believe the main differance is the carb. Maybe someone on here can verify that and if that is the case you can expand your search to a 6 or 7.5hp, which will help because there are a ton of 6hp around.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The 5.5/6hp powerhead is completely different. Smaller bore, smaller crank, smaller block, smaller rods. The 7.5hp (Evinrude Fleetwin and Johnson AD-XX models) was it's own animal andd didn't share any internal parts with any other models, and was only built from 1950 to 1958.<br />- Scott