Engine won't turn over

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
Before I fogged my 1994, 225 Johnny, she started fine. I noticed that the battery leads from the three way switch were bad, so I replaced. I charged the batteries and reattached everything. Now, the starter only whines and will not turn the engine over. Could fogging oil clog up the works? Any ideas?<br />Stalker

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine won't turn over

I would think you would have a loose or corroded connection somewhere, same thing happened on my Johnson, pulled my hair out and cussed for two days even replaced the battery,cleaned all the connections, got mad and took the pliers to one of the battery cable ends and broke the wing nut, went and replaced the cable ends and guess what it worked again, how it can loose connection at the cable ends after they had been cleaned is baffled me but that's what it was.

D

DJ

Also check the ends that connect to the engine. If they were corroded on one end, you can bet they are on the other too.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, but I replaced the cables from the 3 way switch to the batteries and cleaned everything else. The fact that the starter will jump up, engage the fly wheel and then symply "humm" tells me I have a poor connection someplace. The problem is that all the connections are new as are the batteries. I had new cables made at the local Johnny dealer. I looked at the trouble shooting section of the shop manual for the ignition and figured that you have to have a doctorate in electrical enginering to figure anything out. Why it "died" after I put on the new cables baffles me she started fine on battery 1 prior to that and 50% of the time on battery 2. Any other things to check like ignition wiring, etc?<br />Stalker

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Could be a coincidence that the bendix inside the starter has gone bad. That humm that you hear is the starter gear spinning but the bendix is not engaged to the flywheel. What do the cables from the 3 way switch to the starter motor look like?

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I'll check out the leads from the switch to the engine today. It makes sence that the bendix may be the problem. I'll let you know how I make out tonight.<br /> Thanks again<br />Stalker

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Jump out the starter directly from the battery. That will tell you that at least the starter is good. Bypass the 3 way switch and see what happens..

Bass Runner

Sounds like the bendix is ok if it is ingaugeing the flywheel, and then just hmmmmmmmm I would take the starter to the shop and have it tested, or hook jumpercables direct to the starter, if it will spin the motor that way the problem is in the wiring not the starter (make sure the starter mount bolts are not corroded and that the motor will turn over by hand, i had one that got water in one cyl and locked the motor up. Just a few thoughts, hope you get it going. :D

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I checked the cables to the engine and they were in good shape. I'll try jumping the 3-way switch next. Do I run a jumper cable from the pos. side of the battery to the bolt on the starter and the neg. cable from the neg. side of the battery to the neg. ground on the engine? I already ran the center 3 way switch cable (+) to the battery and the neg. cable from the engine to the neg. battery post with no luck. The bendix throws the "star" gear up to engage the fly wheel but doesn't seem to have the nuts to spin it.<br />Stalker

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Do I run a jumper cable from the pos. side of the battery to the bolt on the starter and the neg. cable from the neg. side of the battery to the neg. ground on the engine?
Yes....

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

This may sound dumb, but electronics is not my bag. If I use jumper cables to attach the battery directly to the engine, do I still have to turn the key? If not, what happens if the engine starts? How do I shut it down, detach the cables?<br />Stalker

Bass Runner

The motor won't start unless you have the key on.

rwise

Captain

nightstalker <br />using jumper cables expect some sparks when you make the connection. Just a thought here, can you turn the engine over by hand? If not, What about with the plugs pulled out?<br />Richard

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

OK guys, here is the latest. I ran a jumper cable from the pos. side of the battery to what I believe is the starter solinoid (small round thing 6 inches to the right of the starter) and the neg. cable to the neg. post on the battery and to the neg. ground on the starter and even grounded it to the block and got nothing. I then ran the pos. lead to the pos. post on the starter (post where red 6 inch cable connects the starter to the solinoid) and the starter gear jumped up, hummed, but couldn't turn the fly wheel. It moved it maybe an eighth of an inch. I figure the starter is shot. Should it have tried to start when I connected the pos. lead to the starter solinoid too? Could that be shot also? This engine is not supposed to have a whole lot of hours on it (500 or so), isn't it odd that a started would blow that quickly or no? I can turn the fly wheel by hand, so I know she's not bound up.<br />Stalker

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Pulled the starter off the engine, hooked up a battery and she turned fine. Can a starter turn OK when not under a load but not have enough ooomph to turn the fly wheel. Want to be sure before laying out $300 for a new starter.<br />Stalker

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Is there an echo in here or just a double post?