Tilt Assist

Snipe

Cadet
My trim/tilt assist stopped working. Lever moves harder and after taking the nut off, I'm unable to remove the the sleve. Any clues?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt Assist

Hi ya' snipe...welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Yea...the tilt assist can be a pain. Not sure which nut ya' took off so could ya' explain that a little better?<br /><br />If you can still get to it, the cable attaches to the top of the cylinder. Remove it and see if the cable is still free when unattached. You can operated the cylinder with a screw driver. Put the screwdriver under the plunger in the cylinder and pry up. Make sure the engine is locked in the up position or it will come down. If it's really hard to move or sticks, try a little lube around it. The cylinders are a non repairable item and are pricey to replace. The cables are replacable.<br /><br />Keep us posted.

Snipe

Cadet

The nut I'm talking about is the one that holds the cable onto the controll unit. (The only nut there, looks like about a 1"). The nut comes off fine it's what's under the nut that's stuck. I can't lift the cable out to see if it will move independantly.

Snipe

Cadet

By the way the Model # is J40ELERE AND WAS BORN IN 94

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OBJ question for you.<br /><br />You say the cyl. on the power asst. are not repairable. Therefore if mine is not staying up when the lever is in the position to hold it up (don't remember it that is up on down) than it may be a seal but it cannot be repaired?<br /><br />The darn thing never did ASSIST it seem like it resisted more than anything. Any way check my post about 48 spl power asst.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Beck