1964 johnson seahorse 9 1/2

tbtools2002

Cadet
it want run over 10 sec. i have to hold the choke close for that please help? 1964 johnson seahorse 9 1/2

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 johnson seahorse 9 1/2

Hello TB and welcome to iboats!<br /><br />What it sounds like is ya' got a bad case of the "dirty carb". When you have to hold the choke closed to get it to run, more than likely it's time for a good carb over haul. Kits are still available at any Johnny/Rude dealer.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Are ya' getting fuel to the carb? Pull the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb and crank the engine. Is fuel pumping out the fuel line? If so, go back to the carb and re-check it. Blow out all pasage ways with carb cleaner and follow up with compressed air.<br /><br />If no fuel comes from the fuel line, the pump may be at fault. But it still sounds carb related to me.

tbtools2002

Cadet

i pull the fuel line and the only way i get fuel is to prime the bulb and it only comes out went i squeez it

gain11

Seaman Apprentice

TB you should get fuel in spurts from the fuel line when you crank it. If not you may need to check the fuel pump. the manual says if your diaphram is cracked or has a pinhole you should replace it.I would also advise if it is not plyable and soft replace it. i bought the rebuild kit for $12. I guess the diaphram hardens over time from nonuse. Caution be careful to take note of how it comes apart. There is a reassembly pic at bosunmate.co.uk/fuel_pump.jpg. Good luck!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I noted that a service manual with parts manual for your model is listed on Ebay. Auction ends this morning. Manuals

D

DJ

The only way to "check" a carb is to completely dismantle it, and clean it. At that point, you are doing yourself a disservice if you do not install a new "kit".<br /><br />I would also be a good idea to rebuild the fuel pump too.<br /><br />If your engine has a cork float, replace it.