How much can I expect from a new prop?

ZmOz

Captain
I have a 16 foot Glastron CV-16 with a 150HP inline 6 mercury. The prop it has right now is slightly bent up on the tips, and at WOT the engine will go over 6k RPMs. I think I'm going to get a new prop for it...but I'm not sure. What can I expect in terms of speed? Right now it will go 50.0 on the GPS top speed, with two people in the boat. I really have no idea how much the speed could increase. Am I looking at around 5-10 mph? More? Less?

D

DJ

Re: How much can I expect from a new prop?

Zm,<br /><br />5-10 MPH is going to be REAL hard to get without playing with engine height (X-Dimension) and so forth. It may be a pipe dream at that.<br /><br />Running a bent prop is not good for the engines' lower unit. Replace it.<br /><br />At 6K you are prettyu close to being maxed out in rpm. I wouldn't prop it to run much slower (rpm).<br /><br />First off, find out what you have now as far as diameter and pitch. A stainless prop may give you a mile or two.

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I changed props & got about 7 kmh increase in speed & a much better holeshot.You should find out what pitch you are running now before you do anything.For each inch in pitch you add you will drop about 200 rpm at WOT unless you change the x dimension.A high performance SS prop may give you the increase you desire but I hope you have deep pockets :D I think the bent up tips on your prop is cupping are they all bent(cupped) the same?

ZmOz

Captain

How can I tell what pitch prop I have now? There definately isn't any "cupping", all the blades are just randomly bent.

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the blades are just randomly bent the prop wont be working at all well.You may well get the increase you are looking for by replacing the prop.Either get a prop shop to look at it or get a new prop.I have just put hustlers on my boat.They are a two piece prop & the price of a new housing(the blades)is about the cost of a repair.With the added advantage that you can get different pitches for different uses.Try this guy email:propdok@aol.com or www.BoatpropsRus,nice honest & good service.Hope this helps :)

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the blades are just randomly bent the prop wont be working at all well.You may well get the increase you are looking for by replacing the prop.Either get a prop shop to look at it or get a new prop.I have just put hustlers on my boat.They are a two piece prop & the price of a new housing(the blades)is about the cost of a repair.With the added advantage that you can get different pitches for different uses.Try this guy email:propdok@aol.com or www.BoatpropsRus Nice honest & good service.Hope this helps :)

Link

Rear Admiral

ZmOz<br /><br />Hi again<br />djohns19 and sharkcat are right on the spot with this.<br />Sounds like your having fun with the boat. The Dia and pitch of the prop will be stamped in the hub of your prop. Sounds like you might get away with just getting it rebuilt or trading in on a rebuilt one of the same dia and pitch. Try that and if you still need to change, keep it as a spare.<br /><br />Luck to ya <br /><br />Link

ZmOz

Captain

How much do you think it would cost to have it bent back into shape? It's not in that bad of condition, just the tips are a bit out of whack. It's not possible to have the pitch changed is it?

Link

Rear Admiral

ZmOz<br />I'm not current on prices. 10 years ago in our area it was like 50 dollars average. But try this link and ask Phil. I've never done business with him but he provides a email link and also a 1-800 and fax number.<br />And yes props can be re-pitched but a lot of times a prop shop will already have a rebuilt one that your looking for<br /><br /> http://www.BoatpropsRus.com/ this link will work<br /><br />In Illinois<br />708-895-9800 <br />Outside Illinois<br />1-800-383-5861<br />Fax 708-895-9820<br /><br />Luck to ya<br /><br />Link