Manual doesn't explain this. Advice?

I have an evinrude model #115983E and am currently looking for a lower unit. I was told previously this: "anything from a 1969-1972 V4 will fit (85/100/115/125). Nothing else will...the LUs from the triples look identical, but they don't fit." My question is what makes it so that these "triples"(I assume 3-cyl) dont fit? Can any changes be made to make it fit? The manual doesn't state any reasons why it won't fit. It just talks about some internal shifting mechanism differences that shouldn't affect it's "fit".<br />Any help would greatly save me.<br /><br />Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Manual doesn't explain this. Advice?

The bolt pattern is different (spacing) and the driveshaft / crank splines are different I believe.

D

DJ

The triples are physically smaller, as I recall. Not to mention internal differences.

thanks guys guess i'll keep looking for a V4 lower unit only for this model<br /><br />Thanks again

phatmanmike

Captain

unless you can change the siza and shape and bolt paterns and driveshafts of those triple cylinder lower units... they wont fit...<br /><br />if you CAN change the shape and such,now thats a diff story... look on ebay