88hp Johnson - Cherry Switch

Would appreciate any/all feedback on what I've heard to be a long standing problem with Johnson outboards - Cherry Switch fouling.<br /><br />Last Saturday afternoon I experienced an ingition switch failure and had to get towed in. I'd been using my boat since Friday morning this trip without any difficulty (as a matter of fact, I've never experienced the problem over the last year that I've owned the JohnHenry).<br /><br />One of the guys at the marina mentioned that he'd previously had a Johnson and had Cherry Switch problems numerous times; that's the first I'd heard of it. Later, after having manually dragged my boat onto the trailer, I tried the ignition and...you guessed it...the motor cranked just fine.<br /><br />So here's my question: How can I avoid Cherry Switch failures in the future and, when one does occur, how can I resolve the problem while I'm on the water?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88hp Johnson - Cherry Switch

Welcome!!<br /><br />What is a "Cherry switch"?<br /><br />If your ignition switch fails it will short to ground. All you have to do is unhook the cannon plug (large red connector) and short across the starter solenoid. Be sure its in neutral. <br /><br />You'll have to choke it manually to shut it off.<br /><br />Be careful but that may save you being towed. And itll get you home if theres no one around to tow you.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cherry Switch???? :confused: Iv'e been around a long time messing with motors, what is a cherry switch. :confused: :confused:

Thanks for the early responses, guys...<br /><br />I'm told that a Cherry Switch is specific to the Johnson throttle control unit assembly and that, supposedly, if you disassemble/remove the housing cover there's a switch in there that's labeled 'Cherry'.<br /><br />I didn't have the tools to perform surgery last weekend and have been too busy since returning home to perform the procedure, thus my question posted on the forum.<br /><br />Hope all this makes sense to somebody out there; I promise I'm not making this up :eek:

Paul Moir

Admiral

Does Cherry still make neutral cutout switches for Johnny/Rudes? I know they used to (like this)...<br /><br />
dc_1.gif
<br />EDIT: I guess my question has been answered... Commonly known as a neutral saftey cutout switch...

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Cherry makes/ make a sh**-slew of microswitches. I'd saw that wuz a neutral switch.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh the neutral safty swich (the light came on) if this happens to you again all you have to do is disconect the wires from the switch fire up and go but be careful it will start in gear after you do that. Best to replace the switch, disabled one and accidently fire it up in gear while the wife was standing in the back of the boat, nedless to say she got wet, i got cussed and kind of put a damper on the fun that day. :eek: