cold natured evinrude

truax42

Seaman Apprentice
i have an 89 evinrude 120. its a real pain to start when cold.....after it runs for awhile it will start instantly.....any tips on what to do to remedy this cold natured mule??

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: cold natured evinrude

Are you using the primer on cold start? Mine are fussy the same way.

truax42

Seaman Apprentice

using primer....sometimes it takes awhile to pump up.....would a small air leak in the fuel line cause this?? i see no fuel leaking but it could be sucking a little air once in awhile

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Try this;<br /><br />1- Pump the bulb to pressure the fuel delivery system.<br />2- Turn the key to "On". Do NOT engage the starter.<br />3- Push the key in to activate the primer and count to eight.<br />4- Turn the key to "Start" (engage the starter).<br /><br />You may have to "tap" th primer a couple of times. You should not have to advance the throttle as your motor has the "Quick start" feature.<br /><br />Make sure your carbs are clean, you're using fresh 87 octane and Champion spark plugs.<br /><br />If your carbs havent been cleaned in a while, do it.

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

If that does not work try your primer celanoid in the manual mode.

truax42

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the tips. that seems to help alot with this problem.....is it normal to smoke like a freight train using this technique?? only smokes for a few minutes when i done it this way

D

DJ

Yes, it's normal. They are a bit cold blooded and need a lot of fuel to keep them stoked-when cold.

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dhad<br /><br /> would a 1984-85 rude 90hp be started in the same manner?<br /><br />mark

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Mark - yep!<br /><br />DH - hope you don't mind me jumpin in.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Anything with the primer system can be started like this. That was the whole idea -- to be able to inject fuel for start up rather than rely on the pistons to pull fuel in.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If what everyone said does not help drill the primer nipple out to .062. Nipple located on carbuator body. It helps to clean the nipples also.