Running carbs out of petrol.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer
I've read on this forum that you should never let your motor run out of petrol because the top carb runs out first and the top cylinder runs dry until the bottom carb runs out.<br /><br />Surely the two carbs should have the same amount of fuel in them when the fuel line is dis-connected, so in theory, they should both run out at around the same time?<br /><br />If not, would it be safe to pump the primer until hard to ensure that both carbs were full, then dis-connect the fuel line?<br /><br />The reason I ask is that with our rotten weather, I never know when I'll next be able to get out on my boat and I don't want to leave fuel in my carbs to dry out and gum everything up. I know I could drain them, but just thought there might be an easier way than having to remove the air silencer and high speed orifice plugs after each trip.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Steve

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Running carbs out of petrol.

Steve..... You'll need to drain them or have fuel stabilizer.... some kind of conditioner mixed with your fuel and hope the conditioner keeps the carbs from fouling.<br /><br />If you don't believe that the top carb runs out before the lower carbs, run the engine at a fast idle and let it run out of fuel. At some point, you'll notice that the rpms drop drastically as that top carb is suddenly void of fuel.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Just go by and pump up the bulb every few days, don't let the carb bowls dry up.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

fuel stabilizer :) i use it with every tank never know when u might not get around to taking the boat out

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice. I certainly wouldn't go against anything Joe has to say, so no more running mine out of fuel!<br /><br />I'll give the stabiliser a try.<br /><br />Thanks.