power pack output

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,<br />reading all post about testing power pack out put,I cant seem to get any reading at all on AC setting and then X 1.4,tried 4 different meters capable of reading true RMS, motor is running OK.<br />Am I missing something? <br /> Thanks

Xcusme

Commander
Re: power pack output

Hmmm, I wouldn't really expect to get any readings, the output of the powerpack is usually DC.....What Motor,Year, etc...basic info please...

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You need a peak reading volt meter for these test's. Steven's Instruments, and a couple other company's offer them, but there kind of pricey.

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the response,<br />I did try using the " peak hold " feature of the meter still no reading, I know the output of powerpack is DC pulsing on-off to fire coil but all the posts say to use AC setting. Tried DC setting that didn't work either. 86 evin 140<br /> thanks

clanton

Rear Admiral

Where are you connecting the meter leads?

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the comeback,<br /> I'm using a connector extender on the output of the pwr.pack at the coil + lead,- lead on starter ground lug on block.<br /> thanks

Xcusme

Commander

Kgw,<br />Try this:<br />Meter on DC volts<br />Red meter lead to anywhere on powerhead<br />Black meter lead to wire FROM kill switch that goes into wiring harness.<br /><br />Crank motor, voltage reading is output voltage from powerpack.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Switch the leads black to primary side of coil red to ground, try AC and DC scale. Should work on AC scale. What kind of meter you using? The ignition system is pos ground, forgot that.

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clanton,<br /> Meter is a Simpson true RMS digital with added analog display. In DC mode no need to change polarity,displays it automaticly. It has "peak Hold"feature + or - , tried all modes,nothing.<br /><br />I'll try Xcuse me's suggestion<br />PS the other meters I try'd were just reg. analogs.<br /> thanks,also all meters do work

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Clanton,<br /> yes , motor runs fine,solved my idle prob last week. I'm just curios to know why I dont get any reading as other posts sugested this method in place of CD volt meter. also would be helpful for future use.<br /> Thanks for reply.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If the engine runs, the meter is bad or you connecting to wrong termial. If meter is set to AC you should get a reading. I have a Fluke 88 and it will read on AC scale maby, will check tomorrow. The auto ranging makes some meters act different also.

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Clanton,<br />Meters do work and I am on the proper terminals,<br />I'll wait to hear your results.

Xcusme

Commander

kgw,<br />Can I ask, which terminals are you refering to?

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi xcuse,<br />Yes you may. Connector extender on primary side of coil {small wire} . other lead on engine block,battery neg.connection lug.<br />thanks for reply. Maybe a cheapy meter will work but I dont have one.

Xcusme

Commander

Ken,<br />I also ment to ask if you got around to connecting your meter, per my last post. Perhaps I wasn't too clear, I'll try again. Place the Red meter lead to the powerhead. This is a positive ground system. Find the kill switch. It should have 2 wires. One wire will be bolted to the powerhead, ignore this wire. The other wire should go into a wireing connector. Straighten a small paperclip and insert the paperclip into the wireing connector, for that wire, making contact. Connect your Black meter lead to the paperclip. Don't disconnect the wireing connector.<br />Place your meter on DC volts, and start the motor. You should read the output voltage of the powerpack.

kgw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Xcuse,<br />No I didnt get to try that yet as its been raining. I guess you mean the black with yellow trace that exits the pack. would that be the combination of the four outputs to each coil? {common to all four}. I'll try it in the A.M.<br /> thanks again

Xcusme

Commander

Ken,<br />Yup, that's it (Black-yellow tracer). With the Red meter lead on the powerhead and the Black meter lead on the "kill wire" (black-yellow),you should be reading directly across the charged capacitor of the powerpack.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I tried the Fluke today, thing almost didt work, got 120 from wall plug, some voltage from a clap out SUZ. The AC did not auto range, and if not in correct range would not work. Maby my meter is shot. I have a peak reading meter, so almmost never use the fluke. I would love to have a scope with all induction pickups. Shop is busy now, will check this again next week.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Checking the black/yellow wire is fine and part of the trouble shooting steps, but does not tell you anything about what is getting to the ignition coil.