'77 Johnson model numbers

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a '77 Johnson 140 Hp. Can anyone tell me what the difference between the model#'s: 140ML77, 140TL77, and 140TXL77. Mine has 140ML77 on plate which is located on transom mount. It's got tilt/trim also.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: '77 Johnson model numbers

Whoopps, was thinking of a later year. The "M" and the "T" should be the difference between T&T. The XL is extra long shaft. Huumm

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rick, that's what I thought too about the M and T. Like I said I've got T/T but the number says ML. You think that maybe the T/T was added on later? I'm trying to order an OEM manual so I want to make sure I get the right one. Unless, the manual is the same regardless of the ML,TL, or TXL.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I believe the manual will be the same.

I recently purchsed an old Johnson Seahorse 6. I would appreciate learning 1) where is the serial/model number, 2) where can I purchase a manual, and 3)would appreciate it if someone could also tell me what the following means: Inside the cover is the stamped number 4267. On the inside round top flat piece is stamped 580562. The motor cover is off-white with the words Johnson Seahorse 6 in whilte letters with a black background with below colors of orange, then gold, and white.<br />I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks, Jay

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Jay<br /><br />Funny, that model number, if it is right, comes up as a 1938 4.7 HP. Huuummm. Look on the bracket that mounts the motor to the boat and see if there are any numbers there. If not, look for a welsh plug(Looks like a freeze plug), about the size of a quarter on the engine block, Post any numbers you find.