Buying used Outboard - NOT in the water

SteveC14

Recruit
How do I know if I'm getting a decent engine? Owner -seems beleivable- says it's a real good engine. :eek: Boat and engine are sitting on a trailer...far from the ocean, so taking a test drive is not likely. I'm happy with price. Engine (91' Johnson 45) looks very good. Do I bring a large garbage can and fill it with water? Then test? Can I test it dry? what do I look out for? Thanks for responding.<br />Being sold as is at this price I'm sure.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Buying used Outboard - NOT in the water

Bring a set of muffs to get water to the intakes and fire it up. Check the compression(Take a gauge with you) and lower unit fluid. Bring an extra bottle of it and a big screwdriver with you, so you can refill it for him. See if he has any documents for maintenence on the motor. Ask if he did his own and what he did. Ask him when the last time the water pump and thermostat was changed. See if he flushed the motor every time after running it, if it was run in saltwater. Check the prop for dings. See how it shifts in forward and reverse. Others will have more ideas..

Xcusme

Commander

Nope, never run it dry, under any circumstances. Either on the muffs or on the water or test tank is OK. Don't get nuts over reving it either.

cr2k

Captain

Spark and Compression Test is First and Foremost thing to do.

Compression should be over 100 but more importantly all cylinders should be very close. If you have access to a leak down tester all the better.

It usually pays to take to a reliable shop for an evaluation. $100 or so could save you several hundred in repairs from unknown issues. A visual inspection by an experienced mechanic can spot potential disaster and give you a good overall feel for what condition it is really in. Yes they may try to sell you some repair, but be specific you just want a report at this time.

Drive oil should be free from water. Any black smelly oil sez I've been full of water for some time. Milky oil (check after running) sez I have water in me and need drain plug seals or a complete reseal. Pressure/Vacuum test will determine.

Ask when the water pump impeller was last changed. Should be every 2 years. Usually around $130 + parts.

Also, on OMC especially, do NOT use after market fancy spark plugs like splitfire or the like. a lot of OMC outboards do not have the ignition system to handle the extra needed spark to properly fire them. Always use OE recommended Spark Plugs.

Important to use GOOD TC-3W oil. Mercury, Yamaha, OMC, etc. ($15-$25/gal.) DO NOT use the cheap stuff like the Pennzoil 2 cycle oil in the qt. jug. ALWAYS mix exact amount. Over mix with oil will actually cause the engine to run lean (not enough gas in a certain amount of mixture. Also excess carbon build up will damage the piston and rods.

I could go on and on, but good luck. I hope I havent scared you. I just want your experience to be good overall.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hmmm... I use the Penzoil synthetic tc-w3... What are you saying about it?