Johnson service manual

novotm

Cadet
Can anyone recommend a service manual? I have seen manuals that are so general that they are almost worthless. <br /><br />I have an '89 90hp. Should I go w/ an omc, clymer, seloc, etc?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />BTW, I found a site which sells a "parts list". What exactly is this? Just a list of part numbers for the engine? Wouldn't a service manual list part numbers?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson service manual

The best manual by far is the OEM. No! they don't list part numbers, they do list the part number of a special tool where needed. The parts manual will show a schematic of the parts in there relationship to one another, and of course, the number of each individual part. They can be a great help on reassembly. These part numbers can be in constant change, so there is a master price list to keep abreast of that. I beleive the master price list is only available to dealer's, so it is best to order through them. Now this is all done by computar. This does not happen often, and I am not trying to muddy the waters here, but even the OEM manual can be wrong, and a service center receives a service bulletin from the manufacturer to correct this. Just one of the spots you can get in trouble working on your own.

novotm

Cadet

what do you mean by "the number of each individual part?"

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

When looking at a part's manual, it is broken down in groups, gearcase, powerhead, etc. If I were to look in the gearcase group, it will show the gearcase, and all of it's components. The parts are laid out in line as the would go together, and numbered. Let's say the drive shaft is listed as number 1 on the schematic. You would go to the right page, and of cource, number 1 on the parts list would be the drive shaft. Here would be listed the part number for that shaft. Depending on the motor, there could be two part numbers for that shaft, one for long shaft, one for short. At a dealership they would then go to a master price book with this part number looking for any number change, and the price.<br /> If you were to have the correct part's book for your engine! there's a seperate part's book, just as there is a seperate service manual for each model engine, you could write these numbers down at home, and then just present them to the dealer.Whats nice about doing this is you can go over the part's book, and your numbers list at home with out the risk of forgetting something when you get to the dealer. He can then also give you a price so you know where your at with the repair. Hope this helps.