Dual Voltage Fridge

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I've had this fridge in my cabin but never used it since I never had access to shore power. I didn't like using the 12 volt while at dock due to the drainage on the battery bank.<br /><br />This season I have shore power :D However I will be using the fridge instead of the 3 coolers that I take along. <br /><br />I have a bank of 5 deep cycle batteries. I use 2 just for the operations of the boat. The other 3 I use to power an inverter, which I will be removing since I now have shore power.<br /><br />While out on the lake, I plan to use my battery bank to run the fridge for overnighters.<br /><br />How long of a period should my batteries operate the fridge before the voltage drops off? I am hoping for at least a 24 to 36 hour period. I can recharge them once back at dock via my onboard charger. Thanks

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dual Voltage Fridge

You need to measure the refrigerator current draw. Current times the number of hours of operation equals amp hours. If the refrigerator amp hours is less than the batteries you're OK.<br /><br />Remember the refrigerator compressor should not be running 100% of the time. If it runs approximately 50% of the time then the amp hour requirement of the refrigerator is: Current times the number of hours of operation times the duty cycle (50%).<br /><br />Hope this helps

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks Chuck, I should have known that. DUH on my part. I just gotta wait till the snow melts so I can get out and start preping for the season. I'm just putting together a must do list so I won't have any problems to ruin my day on da water.

rwidman

Lieutenant

I've got about 300AH worth of deep cycle house batteries and I've gotten two days and one night operation of the refrigerator plus 30 minutes or so of a 1,000 watt inverter running a microwave and overnight operation of a chart plotter and anchor light. This should give you a ballpark figure. As posted above, you really should get the current draw of the refrigerator and the capacity of the batteries and figure it out.<br /><br />Batteries should not be run down until completely discharged and the duty cycle of the refrigerator will vary with the ambient temperature and the length of time the door is left open.<br /><br />And since you already have an inverter, why not keep it to run a microwave?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks rwidman, My inverter is just a small one. I always used a portable generator to run the higher wattage appliances.<br /><br />I boat on a samll lake, so usually if any cooking is done away from dock, I use my grill. My mircowave doesn't get much use anyway, but now with shore power, anything is possible.

flashback

Captain

Me again SS, a lot would depend on how often you go into the frig to get a brewski... :D

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

A lot will also depend on how high or low you turn the dial inside the fridge.I keep it all the way up when on shore power and turn it to half or lower when away from the dock.It makes a huge difference.Charlie