Help Deciding

nymart1

Recruit
Really need help here. Trying to decide on a boat but have a lot of qualifications. Need to be able to run two outboards (main and kicker), prefer fiberglass or other composite, want to operate in both salt and fresh water, want a fish and ski type. Have been looking all over the place and have only found the Triumph 191FS that looks like it fits the bill. Anyone know of others?<br /><br />Thanks

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help Deciding

Of course the dual console type saltwater boats will also work on lakes. Some of these have a deeper hull than you might want for a fish-n-ski. But there are also a few that are more low profile. Take a look at Key West, McKee, Pioneer, Sailfish, and Sea-Pro.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

nymart1

Recruit

Thanks KCooK. I looked at a few of these but my problem is that I fish a few lakes that are hp restricted (10HP max). So I need something that I can mount a 9.9 on in addition to the main. Do you think that is possible on any of these? The transoms didn't look like they would accomodate.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nymart1, would you consider mounting the 9.9 using a small outboard mounting bracket? If so, you could put a 9.9 on about any boat with a large enough transom. The down side is that you generally have to drill through the hull. So you probably want to be carefull and seal it up well with 3M 5200 etc...

nymart1

Recruit

bayman,<br />Yes, the problem that I have is that most of the ones I look at DON'T have enough transom or it is sculpted around the main ob.

baja power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DONT USE 5200.. you will never get it off again.... I have seen guys put it on and then when they go to take it off, they take gelcoat and call. use the 4200 insted, it still seals and it will be easier to get off

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

nymart - There are hundreds of boats that fit your description. Best bet is to find out where the nearest boat show is and have a look see.

nymart1

Recruit

SoLittle,<br />Maybe I am just missing it, but I have been to several shows and spent countless hours on the net searching. What I am specifically looking for is for a saltwater fish-and-ski type boat 18-20 ft that I can mount a kicker to in addition to the main ob so that I can also use it in freshwater and on hp restricted lakes. I have heard rumor that you can "take a sw boat to fw but don't go the other way". Any inights are appreciated.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Consider this Sailfish just as an example -<br />
103.jpg
<br />Even though a trolling motor could not be mounted directly to the transom, I would think that a bracket for a trolling motor could be fitted to the transom?<br /><br />Kelly