14' toon or any toons

one more cast

Captain
I was playing on the web and found some 14' pontoon boats and was wondering if anyone on here has one or have ever been on one. I now have a 16' semi flat bottom aluminum bass boat that hates waves. Would a 14' toon be any better?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 14' toon or any toons

They kinda bob around like a cork. You can't put much of a motor on them or they hang low in the water in the back. Therefore they're quite slow.

one more cast

Captain

Thanks Willy. I have RA and I need something thats easy to board from shore and easy to load and unload from the trailer and my wife freaks out when the water gets rough. Are the larger ones easy to load and which trailers load easier? I would have to trailer it around 30-50 miles every time.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go with a bunk trailer OMC, if you plan on trailering that far.<br /><br />I have a 24'er and a dual axle trailer I use and you can just set sail with it and not worry about it.<br /><br />If you are in rough water a lot, a short toon will be rough also.<br />They are light and can get tossed around a lot.<br /><br />The bigger the better IMO.<br /><br />EDIT: I have been and seen smaller toons and you get very much weight on them and they get to sitting low.<br /><br />Another thing, find an all aluminum one.<br />No rot to worry about.<br />Mine is a 1984 model and it has had the seats redone once and the carpet at the same time.<br />It's all aluminum and they even make the seat frames from aluminum now so they won't rot.

Dunaruna

Admiral

OMC, the marina I'm in supplies 14ft toon boats to its members for tendering (moving stoves, fridges etc). They are great in calm water but absolute pigs in rough water. As previously stated, they bob side to side badly. The only benefit that I can see is that they are very easy to load and can take quite a bit of weight.<br /><br />Aldo

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We got an 18 ft Starcraft for my 85 year old mother with parkinsons. Much much easier to board.Level dock to boat in high water a little 2 step stool ladder in low water.Very smooth riding handled amazingly well around the dock.<br /> She loved it.Would pick up friends and go for a picnic.All this on the St. Lawrence river in NY State.Never trailed it but surely only slightly worse than a 14.