metal flake question

jamjbon

Cadet
Does anyone know how to "properly restore metal flake, and can you get it in a spray can ? Thanks

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: metal flake question

Yes. No.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

jamjbon

Cadet

c'mon Hooty, what kind of answer was that. I need some help man :D

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I thought I covered the subject pretty well on your posting back on the 10th.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Merc...<br /><br />Keeping your topic posted on one thread helps folks better understand what advice has already been given. Don't make us go digging for answers already given...<br /><br />Hooty's earlier advice is acurate. Clear coat is the first to be sprayed in the mold...then the metal flake....then the color backing...then the glass mat etc...<br /><br />Once you blow through your clear coat, things begin to deteriorate quickly. Some repair shops do a nice job of repairing metal flake finishes...but once your backing color begin to fade, it's difficult to match. Without seeing your boat it's hard to say what's really necessary, but I'd suspect your first approach would be to apply another coat of clear to protect what metal flake is left. As far as "metal flake in a can"?? Can't say I've ever heard of that, not to say it doesn't exist.<br /><br />Walt