ID this boat? (52kb pic inside)

mparks

Cadet
Hi, I'm a complete newbie to boating... and my brother just gave me this boat:<br />
boat1.jpg
<br /><br />I want to insure it, but the insurance company is asking for a year and model.. the pink slip on the boat says simply "PREMIUM" under the make.. with no year! <br /><br />Does anyone recognize this type of boat? Any guesses at a manufacturer? Or is it too common a design? The motor is a Mercury 100hp (which runs). I looked around a little for a serial plate of some kind, but didn't find one.. but didn't look exhaustively.<br /><br />Also, any guess at the combined value of trailer and boat? A couple support brackets are missing padding (which can't be good for the hull!). The interior seats and seat framing are gone (they were trashed, I yanked them out)... so nothing inside now. It's a definite fixer upper interior wise.<br /><br />Any tips, info, advice, etc., are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.<br /><br />-Mike<br />Sacramento, CA

D

DJ

Re: ID this boat? (52kb pic inside)

Mike,<br /><br />What a great brother. It's a nice looking boat. Great potential.<br /><br />If it has a HID # (hull ID) it will be on the transom (right side looking from rear).<br /><br />It sort of looks like a Glastron G-3.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know the boat , but with 100 horses, fasten you'r seat belt! Looks Great, and in ex-cond.

mparks

Cadet

Thanks for the lead. I can't say I looked there... :) <br /><br />Yes, my older brother has a collection of cars, several motorcycles, and this... all "old". I originally asked him about his 1985 Honda Interceptor 750cc, thinking to buy it from him... but I'm pretty sure he doesn't want me on the road on that. <br /><br />So apparently giving me this was his way of saying, "stay off motorcycles please". :) Beyond that, he said he's too busy with other projects to really pursue this one.<br /><br />My general plan (version 1.0) is to introduce a "water tolerant" plywood flooring to the boat, then attach the new seats to that base. <br /><br />Here is a similiar boat that is sort of a guide for me at this point:<br /><br />
bboat3.jpg
<br /><br />Lots to do before it looks like that, tho! :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It does look like a Glastron GT-160,circa mid to late 70's. But here is a link to THE autority on such works of art... http://www.boatclassics.com/ <br /><br />The engine should have a plate on the front of the hinge pin. If not, someone proly removed it. So look on the starboard side for an aluminum plate on the block..It will look very much like a shiny freexe plug off a car,about 1" in diameter. It will have the serial number stamped on it. Then take this number to the link below;<br /> http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/techhelp/tech14.htm <br /><br />And I agree with your bro..Stay off the bikes,especially the clasic speed queens.<br /> :) <br />Enjoy the nice ride, but stay in the river.Be carefull with big boat wakes,as they can ruin your day.

mparks

Cadet

"Be carefull with big boat wakes,as they can ruin your day"
<br /><br />Yes! :eek: I am going to be very careful. In fact, since you brought this up... say I'm putting along and a large craft zooms by, leaving some hefty wakes. What is the best way to approach them? And should I reduce speed?<br /><br />Also thanks ++ for the additional info. Now if 6pm would just roll around so I could go home and check it out. :)

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It definitely looks like a Glastron. I am familiar with that 100 hp merc motor though. That inline 6 is great motor and if working well will push that boat pretty good. My family had a 16 ft Renken that looked very similar to that hull design (our had that little wrap around windshield) with that 100 hp merc. That thing never gave us a single problem and is still running this day for the guy we sold it to. <br /><br />Good Luck<br />Deerdog

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Glastron is my bet too. I would also lay even odds the trailer is a Shorelander brand.<br />Good lake boat. Lots of fun for little money.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Sorry gents,<br />Ain't a Glastron. That bottom has "0" dead-rise. I mean that bottom is FLAT! I'll bet it'll make your eyes get big and tear. <br />MikeInSac,<br />That's a great pic. Post a couple more, different angles, interior etc. Also have a look at the prop and let us know size and pitch. I'm bettin' the boat is a light weight. Real quick.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

mparks

Cadet

Hooty may be on to something. Todd from classicglastron.com wrote back to me:<br /><br />
Not a Glastron at all. Only paint scheme slightly resembles Glastron.<br /><br />Try fiberglassics.com<br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />Todd<br />
<br /><br />So I dunno. Hooty, here is the pic of the thrashed interior prior to me ripping it all out:<br /><br />
boat3.jpg
<br /><br />It was left uncovered for a long time, as well as left angled down so water accumulated and rotted the wood seats/frames.<br /><br />The other pic I have right now is this one:<br /><br />
boat2.jpg
<br /><br />I looked at the right rear of the hull, but no plate.. which would jive if it is not a Glastron. I'll have to remove the tarp I placed over it to really look for an ID tag. Maybe this weekend. :) <br /><br />Thanks for all the input all!

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

An early 1960's model Tahiti perhaps? The raised gunwhale has me a bit stumped... My buddies 1967 Tahiti didn't have it.<br /><br />No matter...A little restoration though, and she outta do well.<br /><br />Walt

Walter

Mike... Can you make out the registration numbers? If so, perhaps you could call California State Marine Board and ask if they have the make and listed with the registration information. Sure seems that they would anyway...<br /><br />Walt

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mike,<br /><br />Coast Guard once told me that most boats have a second HID# somewhere hidden inside on the hull so if someone stole the boat the thieves might not find it to remove or change it, but the Law could to identify it. I think it's more common on newer boats but worth a shot.<br /><br />Look around inside real good every place you can get to, it may be painted and difficult to see so look hard in every nook and cranny!<br /><br />Nice boat, I bet she will fly on the lake. Good for you, nice Bro. Better take him out on the first shake down cruise :) <br /><br />Good luck, I'm sure you will have a blast fixin her up and runnin her.<br /><br />Have Fun!!! :D

mparks

Cadet

Walt - I checked and there is no California State Marine Board. I did find a California Department of Boating and Waterways, but their website didn't indicate they do any licensing or registrar type information logging.<br /><br />I do have the registration numbers (I blurred them for the photo, don't know what a person can do with them). Since California boaters have to register their craft with the DMV, I think I need to call them to see if those number tie in with any more detail about the boat. Because the pink slip is ridiculously empty:<br /><br />Vessel Hull number<br />Yr Model: 0000<br />Builder: Premium<br />Vessel Length: 15'<br />Type Vessel: C<br />Hull Material: P<br />Prop: O<br />Class: AB<br />MO: GN<br /><br />Pretty darned vague. :( My fear is that since this slip was generated from the DMV, they probably don't have any more info that what's on it.<br /><br />Again, I have to remove the tarp and really look for a tag. The paint scheme looks to be original, so their shouldn't be a case of overpainting, and one would further suppose that an ID tag would be metal and be affixed solidly to the hull somewhere. <br /><br />I just looked up Tahiti and found this boat: http://www.theboatbroker.com/used_boats/05/12.shtml <br /><br />Very similiar.... I'm more likely to think it's a Tahiti than any other now. Going to keep looking for other Tahitis.... they seem sort of rare, at least on the net. heheh. :) <br /><br />*edit: forgot to say thanks, Capt_U :cool:

Walter

I didn't realize California DMV handled boat registration also. Oregon's DMV doesn't...we must register boats via Oregon State Marine Board.<br /><br />Who knows? It's possible your boat was built by a company called "Premium". I've never heard of them, but that doesn't mean anything. Boat builders come and go and it's possible yours was laid up by some obscure manufacturer that's long since out of business. Another buddy of mine had a Tahiti copy built by "Rainbow" Glass Products of Tualatin, Oregon. It was a very pretty boat...but a total piece of junk structurally.<br /><br />It would be to your advantage to insure your boat is structurally sound before you begin putting her back together again. Make sure the stringers and transom are in good condition...<br /><br />I'll keep looking around to see if I can locate a pic of an older Tahiti. <br /><br />Walt

mparks

Cadet

Thanks Walt. <br /><br />I've waded through screens of search results from Google... finding anything on Tahiti boats is tough. I scored a few hits on Tahiti jetboats, but only 1 in the o/b variety, and that was the '74. I'd guess my boat is 60's material.<br /><br />I'm tempted to tell the insurance company it's a 1968 Tahiti closed bow and just be done with it. Or maybe just say "it's made Premium, a boat company that doesn't exist anymore." See if they accept that. Thing is, I can't find any record of such a company. So I dunno what I'm going to do just yet.

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOOKS LIKE A "SLEEKCRAFT" TO ME . TRY FINDING SOMETHING ON THEM . NOT SURE BUT MY OPINION ANYWAY.

Walter

Good job finding that site 12-Footer.... My search didn't turn up anything for Premium Boats. However, what I read on their site leads me to believe they've been in business since '88. Maybe they purchased the name or something....<br /><br />I think CaptBlack may be onto something... Sleekcraft boats were a definite step up from a Tahiti. Mike's boat's lines do resemble those of a Sleekcraft. I was also thinking of Raysoncraft, but I'm not sure they made an outboard model or not.<br /><br />It will be interesting to know what the heck it actually is (if we ever do!). But hey Mike, your insurance co. shouldn't refuse to insure you because you aren't positive of the make/model/year. They should be able to write something to cover that...<br /><br />Walt

Walter

Mike...One last thing. Who has the title? You mentioned a "pink slip". For some reason I'm assuming that must be the registration certificate. Does your bro' have the title stashed away someplace?<br />One would think the make/model/year surely should be on the title.<br /><br />Walt