popped rivets

boatsnmate 1

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, Guys I have an old sears jon boat that popped some rivets how do I fix it. Advice please. Thanks: :confused:

D

DJ

Re: popped rivets

How bad are they? Missing?<br /><br />If they are just a bit loose you can epoxy them from the inside. I prefer a product called "Gluvit" It's available from West Marine. www.westmarine.com. <br /><br />It's about $35.00 for a quart.

boatsnmate 1

Seaman Apprentice

the rivets are not missing they are the ones that held the bench seat to the deck and the heads came out of the seat. :)

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Yo 'nmate1,<br />Drill 'um out and use screws or bolts and nuts.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The best way is to clean the area around the rivet hole well. Then manually use a ball peen hammer (small) and either a copper or aluminium rivet then placing a dolly (heavy metal object) against the other side then peen the new rivet into shape. Believe me this repair won't come undone if done right. I've helped with thousands of these - my father was a shipwright! I was bought up holding the dolly. Yea I know, I've heard all the jokes.<br />Seriously though there's no repair quite like a good riveting one to stay the distance.<br />Ross

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hey Ross,<br />We always called the "dolly" the "bucking bar" and it's called "bucking a rivet" and I've heard most of those jokes too.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Hooty,<br />I guess there's many different names out there. Brings back memories just thinking about that era!<br />Ross

wippb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where does one buy these rivets. I have looked all over the net and can't seem to find a supplier other than pop rivets?

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd try a supplier for wooden boats - esp "clinker" boats (carvel) I think you guys call them. They should have many metal and alloy types. Otherwise try leathercraft manufacturers, lastly try your local Navy office. It sounds funny but they may have suppliers for their workshops if apprentices still have to learn that skill. Don't forget you'll need the caps that go onto the sharp end.<br />Good luck, do let us know how you get on.<br />Ross

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know the tool your talking about, that was the god **** tool #6. Not to be confused with the frigging #6 tool

wippb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys <br />I found a guy from one of the other boards. rosietheriveter1@hotmail.com He has all the non pop type boat rivets that you will need. The type that you hammer in with your Dollys. :D All sizes. His name is Dean and is out of “Fourty Nine West Boat Works”. 604-541-1194.

wippb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Further research has revealed that solid aluminium rivets can be purchased at fastener distributing companies. I found some locally at a company called "Spaenaur"