Lower unit 8 hp

lwfcd

Recruit
:confused: <br />Sailmaster model # J8SRLCOB (thank it’s a 1985 8hp) may need lower unit replaced> Hit underwater structure #&*$$$$ first time out this year!<br />Would like to know options, still runs great shift in forward, neutral and reverse but prop doesn’t move with motor running.<br />Replaced water pump last year but now not peeing after fu*up.<br />What other lower unit year and model will work?<br />Is it worth replacing with new lower unit?<br />Have a chance to get a Johnson 7.5 Model No. J8SRLCTA10" extra long shaft extention that needs a top unit will this lower unit work?<br />Or should I buy a repair manual and try to fix the one I have with new parts?<br />Make it an anchor?<br />Sound lost aye.<br />Thanks for any help.<br />LANDLOCKED<br /> :confused:

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lower unit 8 hp

Sounds like you might have sheared the drive shaft, try putting it in gear and then turn the prop, it should try to turn the motor when you do if it' free pull the lower unit and pull the shaft and look at it, i've seen the splines twisted like a screw.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lower unit 8 hp

Have you checked the shear pin in the prop? Your motor has a pin that allows the propshaft to engage the propeller. If you hit something this pin may have broken, allowing the propeller to freewheel. You can get a new shear pin at your local dealer...<br />- Scott