removing jets from carbs...??

phatmanmike

Captain
i just took my carbs apart and tried to take out the jets and other internall parts, but some of them just wouldnt come out. when i tried to unscreww them my screwdriver just wanted to strip the screw, the brass. i figured once they were soaked and cleaned maybe all the varnish would be gone and then they would come out. but they wtill wont come out... is there a secret. do i need a special screwdriver.. what gives, i was only able to get 1 out, and i have 3 carbs.. what gives, any advice?<br /><br />mike<br /><br />phatmanmike@yahoo.com

CorB

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: removing jets from carbs...??

I like to jump in to your post, because I have the same problem. I was thinking about warming it up in boiling water? But I don't know if it will work.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yes, there is a special driver for them. A screwdriver will work but it very well may damage the jet.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you're speaking of the high speed jets that are located in the bottom center portion of the metal float chamber, I've encountered that problem also, even with the regular jet removal tool (Proper diameter size screwdriver with the end filed to a perfect square type fit).<br /><br />I gently clamp the chamber in a vise, then heat that area with a pencil tip hand help propane torch while applying removal pressure to the jet.<br /><br />If the jet won't budge, manually clean it in place with a piece of mechanics wire, paper clip, something of that nature.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

I'm glad you said that Joe, because that's exactly what I had to do when I did my carbs. :rolleyes: <br /><br />The idle and intermediate jets came out no problem, but the high speed jets on both carbs were stuck fast.<br /><br />Seems strange to me how something which is so well lubricated can get so stuck!

CorB

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As long as it's fluid it lubricates well, but once it's dried and gummed it looks and feels like glue.