converting long shaft to shorter shaft.

mdiaczyk

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1981-82? 25 horsepower evinrude outboard engine. I<br />removed the lower unit. My motor has a 5 inch extension piece between<br />the lowerunit and the rest of the motor. The drive shaft comes out<br />easily and I can remove the extension piece. I can get a shorter drive shaft. My problem is what can I do with the water tube and the shift linkage. How do I shorten these. Do I need to shorten these. Thanks Mike

D

DJ

Re: converting long shaft to shorter shaft.

You do not shorten those pieces, you have to buy new ones.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

HAVE TOO? While the answer above is the text book answer, they can be successfully cut cut and welded without any ill affect if done professionally on lower HP motors like yours.<br />This would have to be done at a speed shop that does racing and such. For the other tubes you can cut them as well and have the aluminum exhaust tube welded and the water tube I cut out the 5 inches out in the stright section where I made my own inspection plate on the side of the lower leg,and use a compression fitting found at any hardware store. This is low pressure water.I and many others have done this, mine has been running for over 10 years and no problems. I think many posters forget this is backyard maintanence and pocketbooks aren't endless. Yes you should go buy a new shaft I saw a guys post last year say it was 200.00 plus a used one from a outboard grave yard would be around 60-100 bucks and the other parts are about 20 bucks each used.My cost was about 40.00 dollars! I would never recomend doing this on a newer type motor,but yours is 22 years old.<br /> steve

mdiaczyk

Recruit

Okay there are two shift rod connectors. A long one and a short one. My motor has a long one so If I can find a short one, I will be in bussiness there. The water tube looks like a piece of copper tubing. I think I can cut it down and bend it just right to work for me.

mdiaczyk

Recruit

First I would like to thank everyone for being helpful. I just need a replacement water tube that is shorter. I can pull one of thoes from the marine salvage yard. How do I remove the existing water tube and install the new one. I think there is a rubber groment holding it in place. I should be able to pull that loose. How do I get the new tube in place and where does it attach on the power head.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

mdiaczyk That in its self is the problem. In order to remove the water tube and replace it you will need to pull the powerhead. While not hard it will consume some time and efort. Thats why I cut a hole(inspection plate) on the left side of the midsection. I then cut the water tube and took out the five inches to shorten the tube I then use a compression fitting union and it was done. I still had the bend in the bottom. I then took a piece of alumium diamond plate and made the cover for the holewI just cut. Took about 1 hr to do in stead of all day broken blots and lots of work. you just need to measure where to drill 4 holes and the use a sabre saw and cut out.<br />steve