1960's Evinrude Leaking Water

wolos

Cadet
I just took my 9.5 horse evinrude in to have it looked at because I was having problems with the motor locking up. The rope wouldn't pull out to start. The guy told me there is a leak somewhere in the upper unit and it is filling with water. He said he tried to replace the head gasket and some other parts and it didn't help. <br /><br />Any ideas of what else to do? He said it would cost more to fix the motor than it is worth. If this is true, can you get anything for them if you sell them for parts?<br /><br />Any advice is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks!

alcan

Commander
Re: 1960's Evinrude Leaking Water

Hi Wolos<br />Depending on where the leak is. It's hard to say from your description, but it sounds like you may have water leaking into the cylinders. Since the head gasket replacement had no effect, the next thing to look at might be the exhaust cover gaskets and plate. To perform this work you will probably need to remove the power head. This will envolve a few more gaskets as well. At todays labor rates, it doesn't take much to out value a fourty year old motor. Your motor can probably be repaired and used many more years. You just need to find a shop where the labor is free (slave labor). You can find this shop in your own garage. You will want to acquire a manual and post here for other questions and help.

wolos

Cadet

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of picking up a new 15-18 horse motor anyway. Any opinion on what brand is the way to go? Johnson, yamaha, ....ect.

alcan

Commander

All motors produced by major manufactures today are exellent. The chioce boils down to which dealer will give you the best service. The guy who will be there when you need him. Since it sounds like you don't care much for doing this type work your self (and that's cool)this would be very important to you. As for the value of your older motor for parts. Yes there is a demand for used parts. The problem is the parts are worth more than the whole. This means you would have to disassemble the thing and find a buyer for each part. Once disassembled you will probably find that a couple bucks worth of gaskets would make the repairs necessary. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to talk you out of a new motor here. Nothing beats a new motor.

phatmanmike

Captain

keep that old motor, fix that old motor! check out www.maxrules.com and go to the parts catagory he specializes in old parts and repairs of old motors such as yours. look on ebay for anoth motor yyou can use for parts. i collect these old beaut's and think it would be a shame to just "throw it out cause its old" remember.. he is in the BUSINESS of selling you a motor. its in his best interest. if you dont want it tell me, i have others i will trade to you for it, i have many newer motors if thet truely is what your after<br /><br />phatmanmike@yahoo.com<br /><br />mike :)

MadeCoolCom

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Wolos <br />If you did't put that head gasket on right<br />there could be a leak there still.