control box

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have to work on the inside of the control box on my 1985 evinrude 90hp ,my question is ,after I take out the 2 long screws that hold the box to the boat ,How do i get the box open? I didn't see any other screws.<br /><br />thnx mark

joe_morgan

Seaman
Re: control box

I had four that held the box to the gunnels and then two on the back that undid the unit. Mine were heavily corroded so were virtually undetectable.<br />Joe

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Keep a close eye on things when you open the case. Things tend to move around a bit when you open it. Do it slowly... If you have a digital camera, use it..

phatmanmike

Captain

you have to P R Y it apart slowly, and yes definnetly use that digi camera so you know where everything goes

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have to take the handle off first. it's held on with an allen screw on the back side. The handle can be tricky to get off. Once you get it off if you have the three phillips head screws out of the back of the box it should come right apart. Good luck <br />DH

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Only if it's the older style do you have to take the handle off.

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep, read the post a little fast the first time. if the box is an 85 you don't have to take the handle off, just the three screws in the back. sorry

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you guys have me scared sh**tless to open that thing up! It is like I expect everything to pop out like a jack in the box or something wil move out of position and i will be worse off now then before!!!<br />MY warm up lever is sloppy and only gives me about 40% of my throttle, I have been told here that it is probably just a screw that has backed out, I am about average mechanically and maybe not that much , like i said you guys have me SCARED!<br /><br />mark

bubbakat

Captain

Don't be scared of it . they are just suggesting to go slow where you won't lose place of everything. I have had several types open and they can be figured out when sprung apart but its better to go slow and see.<br />I have a picture of a single handle of an evenrude so if worse comes to worse I can always e-mail you a breakdown of them. ;) ;)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

procraftmark <br /><br />Just saying take it slow. Nothing to worry about. Nothing is going to jump out at you. Once in there, remove the screw to the fast idle lever and put some loctite on it and re-install it. Put the case back together and you're done. Have it laying flat when you separate the control. See if you can just remove the opposite side of the control lever.

mutron77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good luck!<br />Let mey know how it goes! May be getting into my '85 90hp contol box to get at the alarm horn.<br /><br />H90

onehunglow

Seaman

Hey bubbakat and Rick...This is an interesting post with regards to taking apart the control box..<br /><br />I have a 1987 Johnson 70HP with a single throttle/direction lever, a tilt/trim switch and of course the fast idle bar. On this year, is there a slot-test for my horn under the bar? Also, I would like to adjust the idle on my motor up a bit (when the bar is not on to bring it up) - is that setting INSIDE the control box or on the motor itself?