Wont start

eglass64

Cadet
I have 1973 johnson 65 hp electric start, It has a new starter solenoid and new power pack. I turn the key and it does nothing. Yes the battery is charged. Any ideas ?please help

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wont start

Have you tried bypassing the selonoid altogether? Jump from the battery terminal to the starter terminal and see if it turns over. You may have a bad starter or you are not getting 12 volts to the selonoid. That will tell the story. Does everything else work?

eglass64

Cadet

I will try that in the morning, Thanks for reply. I will keep posting. Everything was working the other day,It was turnig over but not firing, that is when I changed the power pack.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, eglass.<br /><br />Go to the FAQ section and follow the troubleshooting procedure for "Outboard wont start". That will lead you to the cause of your problem.<br /><br />I suspect that you have a poor connection somewhere in your high current cables. Most likely: where the ground cable from the battery connects to the engine block.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

eglass64

Cadet

Is there suppose to be a certain guage wire? If so whats recommended?

phatmanmike

Captain

get the thickest your pocket book will allow, i use 4 guage, as thats about all i could fit through the hole in my cowl hood. could also be a short somewhere in the switch, try bypassing the wireharness all together with a simple wire and push button switch connected directly to selenoid, if that doesnt work, connect your poss + jumper cable( yes , the ones that came with your car) to the poss terminal on starter and the neg- to a good known ground, watch out for the sparks, it should spin instantly, if not, your starter is bad and may be able to be rebuilt.

eglass64

Cadet

Ok I jumped the starter and its working. Its just not getting power to the other side of the solenoid which I replaced with new.On the bottom connection it has 2 red wires running to power pak side into a cylinder that has 1 red wire in live, 2 out white no power. could this be it?

angus63

Captain

does this set-up have a kill switch? I know it's old(er), but you never know!!!! Does the control have a nuetral safety??? just throwin out the simple stuff.

eglass64

Cadet

No it does not have a kill switch,and it will not start in gear. Is the safety switch under the handle that you push in to engage it into drive ?

angus63

Captain

Depends on the control you have I guess, but mine was very obvious when I split the control open. The next simple thing to do is jump the key switch to see if that is the culprit. Check wiring diagram and jump the wires at the switch to start. If she cranks, bad switch.

angus63

Captain

If thats not it, check wire diagram and apply 12V to the low side of the solenoid and see if she closes. That will rule out safeties, switches, and relays. if thats not it, undue,clean and tighten every connection on the batteries,solenoid , and starter. You'll need more help than I can provide after that.<br />PS Did it run (start) well after powerpack replacement?