no fire on VRO

dennis352

Cadet
I have a 1990 Johnson 150 with no spark. I have replaced the stator and ignition switch. I removed the safety switch so I could eliminate it. I have read some post saying to check the regulator/rectifier however my manual doesent cover a non running check on this paricular unit. If I were to disconnect it to see if my fire returns should i completely disconnect it from the entire harness or just from the stator. With my ignition on it is supplying 11.8 volts to my stator via the regulator connection. Im not sure if it is suppose to.<br /><br />Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: no fire on VRO

The regulator/rectifier pertains to the charging system, not the ignition system.<br /><br />NOTE... The engine must be turning over at least 300 rpm in order for the stator to produce the needed AC voltage to the powerpack. If the engine is cranking unusually slow, find out why.<br /><br />Remove the s/plugs. Disconnect the main RED electrical plug at the engine. Rig spark tester whereas you can set a 7/16" gap on it. Crank the engine by using a small jumper wire from the battery side of the starter solenoid to the small 3/8" nut terminal of the solenoid that engages it (not the 3/8" nut ground terminal).<br /><br />Having the RED plug disconnected eliminates any possible problems in the instrument wiring harness, ignition switch etc.<br /><br />When cranking at a proper rpm, if still no spark, locate the "black/yellow" wire(s) that are connected to the powerpack and disconnect them.<br /><br />Crank again. If you now have spark, there's a short somewhere in the engine wiring harness. If still no spark (assuming all wiring and the stator's installed properly), either the powerpack's faulty or a problem exists with the timer base assy, the most logical area would be the powerpack.

dennis352

Cadet

I have ordered a power pack but i still have a question about the regulator/rectifier. My stator is getting 12 volts via the 2 yellow wires that connect to the rec/reg on the terminal board. Even with the ignition is off these 2 leads are supplying power. Could someone please tell me if this is normal or if i have a bad reg/rec. The book only has a running reg/rec test so i am unable to properly test.<br />1990 johnson 150<br />Thanks

dennis352

Cadet

My problems are solved and the engine is running good. I hope to test it in the water soon. My regulator/ rectifier was bad aswell as my powerpack and stator. The stator failed the ohm test , the reg/rec was allowing voltage to run to my stator, and my power pack wasnt sending power to my coils. A mech friend of mine said he thought reversed battery cables may have caused it. I purchased the boat in that condition so i dont know for sure. Thanks for everyones input on this post as well as the others that i submitted.